Changing quick connect to direct fuel connect on outboard 50hp Mercury

mamayer63

Recruit
I have a 1988 Mercury 50hp outboard and the clip connect on the outboard is leaking. All parts say that the connector is now obsolete I would rather just run it direct to avoid any issues. Has anyone done this and tell me how its best done. if there is a place to order the female clip on type for my outboard I haven't found it. Seems only Johnson Evinrude available now. thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing quick connect to direct fuel connect on outboard 50hp Mercury

Those connectors should be avail widely. Even a Wallyworld usually carries them. If you want to bypass get to brass barb-to-barb plumbing fitting and a couple of clamps in the correct diameter. You motor will have a 5/16" or 1/4" fuel line.

mamayer63

Recruit

Those connectors should be avail widely. Even a Wallyworld usually carries them. If you want to bypass get to brass barb-to-barb plumbing fitting and a couple of clamps in the correct diameter. You motor will have a 5/16" or 1/4" fuel line.

Thanks for the response. I thought Walmart would have them but they and Iboats and other vendors I have searched online (and even went to the local Wally world) only carry for OMC/Johnson, Evinrude/ and Yamaha. Also I need 5/16 and they all seem to be 3/8. When I went to the Mercury site the 2-prong male end for the motor is now obsolete so I figured the female end must be too. Does it matter the outboard brand or would any 5/16 work? Thanks for the recomendation on the direct connect I may have to go to that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Any 5/16 quick conect will allow proper fuel flow, however, the male fitting is attached to a small area on the motor. Not sure what else would fit. Moeller makes the old style. I guess at this point I would hit the Home Despot and get the barb-barb brass connector and clamps and move on.

mamayer63

Recruit

5/16 brass bearbed fitting worked great and replaced fuel line while I was at it...runs awesome now. Thanks for confirming how to do it right. Can you tell me does the propeller spin clockwise when in reverse and forward? I replaced the impeller and wanted to check water flow and noticed prop spins same direction in either gear not sure if I have something wrong? Thanks again!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Turn the driveshaft CW to install the impeller. Prop turns CW (looking from behind motor) in forward.