86 9.8 remote steering question.

brian547

Cadet
So here is my first boat, got it in the fall. When I picked it up the motor was off of it, in the garage.
bboat1.JPG

I pretty much figured all the remote wiring but am stuck with the steering. Its a teleflex steering cable btw. When i connected it all up the one side looks as if its missing a piece. And the connecting nut will not go any further down the shaft. with it xonnected that way, the tilt tube moves with the steering. and one side goes way further then the other.
bboatmotor3.JPGbboatmotor4.JPG

I rigged a piece of 1 '1/2 inch conduit connector to fit in as a sleeve. it now fuctions better, but I dont like this as a permanent fix.

bboatmotor7.JPGbboatmotorwithsleeve2.JPG

I cant find a parts diagram for the remote steering anywhere (86 longshaft 9.8 electric start with remote steering) and I have the engine manual which says nothing about steering. So my question is, does anyone know what part is suppose top go there? or hook me up with a part number or diagram? I've had this thing since the fall and pretty much resto'd/fixed everything else on the boat but the steering. I think this temporary fix will work for the first few voyages, would love to get it out on the water this weekend for the first time if possible. Thanks guys!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 86 9.8 remote steering question.

Mine is a 1996 9.9 / 15 so its close to the same. On mine the motor tube that the steering rod goes through has a nut on each side that holds it in the motor and my arm is attached to a bracket that is out in front of the motor a bit, that gives it room to tilt up. I will be heading out to the slip later today and will snap a pic or two. That will at least give you a idea how its set up.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I wasnt able to get out to the slip yesterday so it will be Saturday before I am out there.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This should at least give you a idea.

1 front.jpg

2 helm cable side.jpg

3 steering arm side.jpg