Fuel shooting out of top right corner of carb when priming fuel bulb...new float?

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm putting in an order online as we speak and I was wondering if I needed a carb float or anything else with this issue. The boat otherwise runs good (minus overheating issue) I just don't want to start a fire or something because a lot of fuel comes out if I prime it too much. Do I just need the float or should I get the needle too? Any gaskets I need?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel shooting out of top right corner of carb when priming fuel bulb...new float?

Carb should not leak fuel. Inspect the floats, inlet needles and seats. Replace any that look worn or damaged.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel shooting out of top right corner of carb when priming fuel bulb...new float?

Say thank you to Ethanol...Mercury kits don't have the needle in them most of the time..change the seat and needle...I don't like after market parts but you can buy them from other companies if you can't get them alacarte from Merc...

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What is the seat? I didn't see it on the parts site. I ordered a new float and needle.

The seat is what the needle goes into. You didn't give the year and horsepower of your motor but there is a good chance that your needle seat isn't replaceable and is permanently pressed into the carb. If that is the case, clean the seat as best as possible. You may also have to do something like spin a q-tip with valve lapping compound to recondition the seat. Whatever you do, don't scrape the seat with anything like a pick or sand it.

You may notice that your new float needles are completely metal instead of rubber tipped. The stainless steel needles are designed for harsher fuels (ethanol mixes) in mind.

Don't forget to order a carb gasket set. If your float needles are shot, there is a good chance that your gaskets will be old enough that they will need replacement as well.

Warning: Personal rant about automatically blaming ethanol 100%-----> I am by no means a fan of ethanol. I personally hate it all the way from the politics of corn subsidies to how it makes engines run. However, engines that are used seasonally (lawn mower engines, boat motors, motorcycles, snowmobiles, snow blowers, string trimmers, etc) have always had problems with carbs needing to be rebuilt. Travel to non-ethanol states and every spring you will still see people cursing while trying to start their lawn mowers and boat motors. It is due to gas going bad and gumming up the carbs during the off-season and/or gaskets and rubber parts finally giving way to age from not being used. Ethanol does add fuel to the fire by making gas turn bad faster, in addition to it being harder on gaskets and rubber parts. This is why it has always been recommended to either run your motors dry at the end of the season or manually drain the carb bowls.

TLDR Version: Bad gas has always been an issue in seasonal engines but people are now blaming ethanol completely for carb issues. Ethanol cannot be blamed 100% for bad engine storage techniques and/or gaskets and rubber parts not lasting indefinitely.

Finally, even after my rant about blaming ethanol, I still recommend running ethanol-free gas if possible.

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice

my 2 cents concerning ethanol: Products such as Startron and Lucas additives have performed quite well in all of my outboards and power equipment. I would never go into off season without one of them in the tank.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, Smitty, I consider Startron to be snake oil, as I do not believe most of Startron's claims. See my post in the non-repair outbaord discussion forum.

Do you have any emperical proof that either do anything good at all?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Chris, I am with you.. It has been proven that they don't do anything...waste of money..If you can't use the gas in 30 days drain it and get rid of it at any cost is how I roll..motors are too expensive to worry about 10 gallons of gas...Last season I got sick and gave away two 14 gallons of gas to my buddy that will run anything in his car even with a cat converter..LOL... I was going to chance my 7500rpm bridgeport for $120 worth of gas blowing a hole in a piston from running lean.......my 02