1989 200 HP Black Max. how do I remove the top trim rod pin so I can drop T&T?

SparkieBoat

Captain
I need to remove the big round pin that holds the trim rod to the engine. there appears to be a slot on one side, tried a big flat head ion it but it would not turn.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 200 HP Black Max. how do I remove the top trim rod pin so I can drop T&T?

Re: 1989 200 HP Black Max. how do I remove the top trim rod pin so I can drop T&T?

That slot is for the trim sender...does nothing with your turning it...there is a roll pin that holds that round rod in...With the motor mounted impossible to get to the roll pin....my friend just takes a punch, and hits the rod and sheers the roll pin...that solves the problem of getting the rod out but I don;t know how you are going to get a new roll pin back in... I have to take one out on my 90 and turn it around to hook up the trim sender..I am removing and hanging the motor so I will have access to the back of the rod..just my 02....

SparkieBoat

Captain

man who was the genius at mercury that came up with that idea?? OMC has a retainer clip easy as pie to get the pin out...with out removing the motor from the boat.