1999 merc 2stroke 3cyl 40hp - key switch wiring + alarm horn

chris4

Recruit
Hi

i just bought an 1999 merc 2stroke 3cyl 40hp (think basically same motor as 50 and 60hp). Serial number is0P040591, made in belgium. It came with controls that have been used only on another merc.

Qestion 1
After a bit of google searching I think I have now been able to connect most of the wires (which i need to connnect) to the right places, but I have one purple wire coming form the engine I dont know where to attach. I found a wiring diagram which possibly is ok, and on that diagram the purple goes to 'A' on the key switch, but I dont have any A... I have an 'I' though which i dont know what is... Any advice?

Question 2
As far as i know none of my controls(/switch/lanyard switch) has any alarm horn. Is there an "internal" alarm horn in the motor or do I need an external alarm horn to hear possible alarms?

Thanks alot in advance
Also, is there any manual online other than the seloc? i am willing to pay, but that one seems very expensive

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 merc 2stroke 3cyl 40hp - key switch wiring + alarm horn

"A" is the designation for ACCESSORY on an outboard and is used to power the instruments when the key is in the RUN position. "I" is the designation for IGNITION which again supplies power when the key is in the RUN position. In your case the "A" and "I" are the same. But you do need to verify the purpose of the purple wire.

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you send me a PM with your email address, I will forward you a copy of the service manual.

Gerry

chris4

Recruit

Thanks alot to both of you

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Purple is for SWITCHED 12v, not 12v hard wired from the battery which is red. It's for operating things that you want OFF when the ignition switch is OFF, like when the boat is sitting on the trailer in the yard for a week or so. The ignition switch is what supplies voltage on the purple wire when in the ON or START positions from the red (hot always) lead attached to it.

Mark

chris4

Recruit

thanks!