Small 4-stroke - Merc vs Tohatsu

RMB

Cadet
I know the older Merc 4-Stroke small engines (a 9.9 in particular) were just rebranded Tohatsu. Is that still the case? If not, when did Merc begin selling their own engines?

I ask because I had a particularly troublesome 6 HP Nissan and am now looking at a brand new 2009 9.9 Merc. Selling dealer claims that this engine is 100% Mercury. I want nothing to do with another Tohatsu.

TIA

Jeff P

Cadet
Re: Small 4-stroke - Merc vs Tohatsu

I know the older Merc 4-Stroke small engines (a 9.9 in particular) were just rebranded Tohatsu. Is that still the case? If not, when did Merc begin selling their own engines?

I ask because I had a particularly troublesome 6 HP Nissan and am now looking at a brand new 2009 9.9 Merc. Selling dealer claims that this engine is 100% Mercury. I want nothing to do with another Tohatsu.

TIA
Let that be the last time you talk to that dealer. The only 100% Mercury outboards built in the states are 75hp and up.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Like Jeff states Do not belive that dealer!
Oldman570

Star

Chief Petty Officer

what kind of problems did you have with the nissan, just curious?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Pretty much all the small outboards under 15hp are made by Tohatsu. Nissan, Merc, even Evinrude 9.8 and under are made by Tohatsu.

You could look at buying a Yamaha or Honda. Otherwise it's going to be a Tohatsu. (Great little motors by the way).

RMB

Cadet

what kind of problems did you have with the nissan, just curious?

It developed a bad knock with low hours. Long story short, it ended up needing to be rebuilt. Took forever to get parts to have the work done.

I've had two Hondas. That Nissan couldn't compete with the Hondas. Never had any trouble with Honda and they are SO much quieter. My last one was a late '90s 9.9. I never should have sold it.