225 mercury efi 1998

805fishingfu

Cadet
Iam looking at a bass boat with a mercury 225, 1998.
I want to get opinios on the life of these outboards. What should I epect to see and be normal. What should I look for to make a good buying decision. I know that many of us know that one thing that will tell you ?DONT BUY IT IF THI$ iS IKE THIS? or MAKE SURE TO LOOK AT THIS AREA FOR THIS? I HOPE I HEAR SOME GOOD POINTERS
THANKS!

Diesel Demon

Cadet
Re: 225 mercury efi 1998

I have a 1999 225 Efi with 320 hours that was on my GW when I purchase it a couple years ago. Couple areas i noticed on a motor this old was corrosion. Hopefully the previous owner used plenty of corrosion inhibitor. Mine had severe corrosion especially on the castle nuts that are just above the lower unit. I believe they get corroded due to electrical current. The other problem I found was the metal shift linkage inside the cowling that attaches to the shift rod. On mine it worked loose a caused a decent size gouge in the metal below it. I'm very happy with its performance and reliability. Good luck.

805fishingfu

Cadet

Nice. Thaks for The feedback. Ill check thise areas out On my detailed inspection. If I need to get it rebuilt what is The average On,repairing The outboard? The lower unit just got replaced last year, so im Not worried there. What i dont know i The hours. Thetr is no gauge!

Diesel Demon

Cadet

I believe it'll be around about a 1/3 of the cost of a new motor to rebuild. The computer diagnostic equipment at an outboard repair shop should be able to tell you the hours of operation. They may be able to tell you alarm history and rpms the motor operated at as well. Just a guess though.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That motor has no memory in ECU so dont waste time trying to find hours/codes. The 1998 used a "D" shaped CDM module which is known for failing and the replacement kits about $175ea. It is the first generation 3.0L block and has a little different porting than the newer motors, It runs decent, a tad better on fuel than a carb engine but don't be surprised if 200hp equipped boats pass/keep up with you on same /similar hulls.

805fishingfu

Cadet

If a rebuild is done, is it considerrd like new again, or better? Would the outboard be runnin likr new

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It would run like new but no increase in power output...