Fuel line thread sealants: Permatex Form-A-Gasket #3 vs #1/#2

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

Sorry for the possible off-topic... I recall reading someone's advise on this forum to use Permatex Form-A-Gasket #3 to seal threaded fuel line connections. Could anyone please explain what exactly makes #3 any better than #1 and #2 for this purpose? The latter 2 are available in a lot smaller quantities than #3. I just need to seal fuel filter fittings.

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel line thread sealants: Permatex Form-A-Gasket #3 vs #1/#2

Use teflon tape.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have a flo-scan do not use teflon tape.

robert graham

Admiral

White Teflon Pipe Joint Compound in a tube. The Teflon Tape can get cut by the fitting threads creating "hairs" of Teflon which can and will plug up fuel system....compound is recommended and very easy to use....

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah teflon tape is another way to go (along with its deficiencies) but I'm just curious about the difference between these Form-A-Gasket numbers.

Here in the UK we have Henkel making Loctite and I recently bought a bit of their #542 at a bargain but why not have a Permatex as well.

kahuna123:
I'm going to install a Faria FFM002 flow meter if that's what you call a flo-scan.

robert graham:
Are you referring to something like "Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound W/Teflon 1 Ounce Tube"?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Permatex #3 is fuel soluable as is #2. Not sure about #1. I would not use any of them in that application.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If all else fails folks, read the directions. No directions? Buy a compound in a can with a dipstick on it and you probably will find directions and applicability info on the rear. I buy a pipe joint compound in a white jar with a red label at my local hardware store that looks like greenish peanut butter and it works on everything, high pressure gas lines and all. Stays flexible so you can remove the joint if necessary later on.

And yes, TT doesn't work on everything especially on the farm. So I just quit using it and use the above.

HTH,
Mark

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris1956:

Wondering if there are maybe any fake ones on the market? Interestingly they say "resists gasoline" about all 3 of them at their website...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can use permetex #2 and #3 on internal engine stuff, just not fuel line stuff, as it will readily disolve in gasoline. I learned quite a few years ago when I put some on an old carb gasket, and the stuff clogged my carb jets....

kahuna123

I had a twin diesel Luhrs with flo-scan. A fuel metering system that told you how much fuel you were burning and would give you a total burned. I am sure the system you are speaking is similar. It was not only commonly known in the yard not to use tape but in was also in the install directions.
Do you really need to use much of anything??? This isn't high pressure water lines.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

There are fakes for Permatex 1 and 2. Schucks/Kragen/Oreilly's sells them at 1/2 the price of permatex. It isn't any good though and is a quick trip to a reseal. I certainly wouldnt use the 1,2 or 3 on anything to do with fuel and I really cant think of any time permatex 1 is appropriate. For fuel plane old Teflon pipe dope will work best.

In any case the best gasket sealant bar none for non fuel use is Permatex's "The Right Stuff"

79Merc80

What engine is this about??

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the replies. Teflon dope (aka joint compound?) it is then.

Apologies for the off-topic again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Permatex #1 was used on crankcases for old OMC motors, and likely other applications. I do not know when they went away from it. Permatex #1 is fast drying, hard setting.....