2007 50 hp 2 cycle mercury with auto oil injection, does oil pump have a brass gear

hollydrive

Cadet
I have recently bought a 2007 50 hp mercury 2 cycle with auto oil injection, I am not having any problems but was thinking of bypassing and self mixing, I was told that this model mercury has a brass gear driving the oil pump and it was one of the most reliable on market, can anyone confirm this? it sure is nice not having to mix.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 50 hp 2 cycle mercury with auto oil injection, does oil pump have a brass ge

I am pretty sure it a nylon gear and these have very few problems due to it a bottom driven pump....most problems are the V-6 2.0-2.4 motors.

hollydrive

Cadet
Re: 2007 50 hp 2 cycle mercury with auto oil injection, does oil pump have a brass ge

Thanks Fastbullet, the reason I asked was a local outboard technician quoted me a price to bypass system, and said he talked to mercury rep, who told him it was a brass gear, it could very well be a nylon gear the only way I know for sure for me to find out is order one. if you have any idea who I can contact with a parts discreption , I sure would appreciate it. ( probally being overcautious but information is key to leisure enjoyment time)

hollydrive

Cadet

Thanks again Faztbullet, I contacted mercury parts and talked to a parts rep via e-mail he called me the next morning and said the gear was nylon just like you said. Now I can decide on bypass system or not.