Wiring colors Mariner/Commander 2000

kryck

Cadet
I have a Mariner 40 hp fourstroke from 2000. Electric start/remote control (cmd 2000)/manual(assisted) tilt.

The connector from the remote control has wires: BLK, PUR, GRY, TAN/BLU, TAN.

Black should be ground, purple +12 V (IGN), Grey tach signal. But what is TAN/BLU and TAN?

I guess one is the oil warning switch and grounds if failure in the oil circuit is detected. Is the other one water temp sensor or overheat warning? Could also be connection for warning horn.

This outboard has a water temp sensor, does anybody know if it's a switch (grounds on high temp) or a sensor that varies the resistance with temperature? If not any of the above colors/wires, which one would it be?

kryck

Cadet
Re: Wiring colors Mariner/Commander 2000

OK. According to that chart Tan and Tan/Blu is temp warning light and temp warning horn don't know which is what (and would probably do the same, ground on warning).

So I guess there's no oil pressure warning and no temp sender then?

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your engine s/n and I'll get you the Service Manual with the wiring diagrams.

There are three possibilities, a) warning horn, b) warning light and c) temperature gauge depending on how you want to set it up. If you just want the horn, use the tan and cap the other.

Gerry

kryck

Cadet

Thanks, yes it's the carbed one. The service manual says: tan is for temp meter, tan/blue is for audiovisual warning kit (horn?), tan/black is for overheat lamp and tan/white is for low oil pressure lamp. The two later is not by default in the remote control but accesible under the cowling.