Winterizing a 1999 200 HP Optimax

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 1999 Optimax 200 HP I need to winterize. This is my first Optimax and I'm being told that I need to use outboard antifreeze. Also, I tried winterizing yesterday but could not get my engine to get up to operating temperature, ran it for about 1/2 an hour, I'm thinking thermostat but is there anything else I can check? Or is there something else I need to do to get the temp up high enough to open the t stats? Below are a few more questions about winterizing.
1) After warming up the engine with the muffs I shut the engine down, attach the container with the antifreeze, open valve , start enine and wait until I see the antifreeze coming out of engine ports. Does that sound correct?
2) As far as fogging, I've heard different things. Do I simply use fogging oil in each cylinder or just a few drop of oil into each cylinder. I haven't gotten the service manual for this engine yet so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Winterizing a 1999 200 HP Optimax

Ayuh,... Outboards are self-draining, 'n antifreeze is Not used, at All...

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for responding Bond-o. This is my first winter with this engine, all of the other outboards I've previously owned never required antifreeze but when I purchased this engine the mechanic that installed the outboard told me that this particular model and year required the cooling system to be flushed with antifreeze due to the water jacket. Maybe he was just trying to drum up a little extra business but I wanna be sure before winter comes rolling in. Thanks again for the input.

2011-11-12_1934.png

2011-11-12_1934.png

"engine oil" refers to 2 stroke oil.