Mercury Outboard Pink/Salmon wire

robinfla52

Cadet
I disconnected this wire. The motor is a Mercury 1987 Classic Fifty 45 hp.
I do not have the bullet connector that plugs into it, but anyways, I forgot where to connect it and do I even have to. At the moment iPink or salmon wire1.jpg it is not starting up. If anybody can email me a pic of wiring for switch box,rectifier,solenoid, etc. I would appreciate it.

robinfla52

Cadet
Re: Mercury Outboard Pink/Salmon wire

I appreciate the quick response, but even this does not match the Classic Fifty wiring. The pink or salmon colored wire is coming from the engine wiring harness. View attachment 120295

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pink is power with key on. In a great many applications it is not utilized.

Laddies

Banned

As the factory built the engine in 1987 there was no pink or salmon colored wire on it,the wiring diagram I sent was for a earlier engine that has a salmon wire on it, in looking back at the first picture in the thread I can see that it is a 1987 with a red stator kit on it and a cobbled up wiring on the charging system. After 20+ years of cobbling I don't think Mercury has a wiring diagram. A salmon wire is a kill wire for the ign. and a pink goes to the gas gauge Sprky. Sorry for the inconvenience robin.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That looks more like a faded purple wire which is 12 volts switched and not used in your application. Yep its got a "Shack" rectifier and what wiring is shown appears to be correct.

robinfla52

Cadet

I feel you were still in the ballpark even though it was an older diagram. After looking at numerous schematics, I have come to the conclusion that it is a kill wire. Also, I believe you are right about there not being any wiring diagram for it as while waiting for a reply on this site I went to a Mercury dealer who has a large library of tech books and he could not find one either
Again thank you for your input and no need for apology. I still found your info useful. I will be trying to start motor later today and will let you know how it went.
By the way, on a funny note, people keep thinking my name is robin when actually my id means Rob in florida but the old abbreviation: fla

As the factory built the engine in 1987 there was no pink or salmon colored wire on it,the wiring diagram I sent was for a earlier engine that has a salmon wire on it, in looking back at the first picture in the thread I can see that it is a 1987 with a red stator kit on it and a cobbled up wiring on the charging system. After 20+ years of cobbling I don't think Mercury has a wiring diagram. A salmon wire is a kill wire for the ign. and a pink goes to the gas gauge Sprky. Sorry for the inconvenience robin.

robinfla52

Cadet

I read about Shack rectifier on this site and have utilized it successfully a couple of times and wow what a savings.

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't see a power wire from battery going to the solenoid, was it just off when the pic was taken?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I have come to the conclusion that it is a kill wire.
Uh.oh ...I see some ignition parts a being bought:facepalm:

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know how things go after you hook the Pink/faded purple wire to the power pak.

FB you got any 4cly paks laying around?

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would think that if it was a kill wire, being unhooked would allow the engine to run and grounding it would kill the engine. Also I would think that if it went to the switch box, it would have a lug connector end rather then the plug type connection it has.

My money says the non running condition has nothing to do with that wire.

robinfla52

Cadet

You are correct. I am going ahead without hooking up the pink wire. It is not faded purple. There already is a purple from trigger that is hooked up.

robinfla52

Cadet

OK, so I tried starting the motor with a battery starter just by turning it on and connected to the yellow wire of starter. Cranked just fine, 20volts on the blue wire to switch box. No spark at spark plug wire ( I used a spark tester). I don't think the pink wire is anything I have to worry about now, and I do not think it is a faded purple. I already have a purple wire from the trigger attached to the switch box. The pink wire comes directly from the engine harness. For now I won't get back to it til the weekend . Please look out for more info later guys as I do appreciate any input.

robinfla52

Cadet

This motor is off the boat and no battery hooked up as of yet. I have finally removed battery from boat and will be trying to start it later this week.

Laddies

Banned

Before hooking the wire to anything check it for voltage with the ign. both on and off if there is no voltage use a OHM meter and with the key on the wire should have no continuity to ground but with the key off it should have continuity to ground the system is a kill to ground system any voltage will burn it up.

robinfla52

Cadet

Laddies, that's a good idea. I didn't think of it because it is off the boat and no battery was hooked up to it. I am doing that now. Today I hooked up the battery and tested voltage through blue wire to switch box. got up to 60 vac I am hoping that is enough for just crnking it. No voltage coming out of switch box so tomorrow I will install what I think is still a good switch box from my other motor. I'll post tomorrow with results

robinfla52

Cadet

OK. So today I bought a spark tester, just to have it and be sure of what I see. To some, a good tool is necessary. Sure enough no spark. I saw no voltage coming out of switch box to coils. I installed the extra ( and I was hoping still good) switch box. Cranked her up and lo and behold spark. Now the fuel didn't seem to be pumping. Removed spark plugs and put a tiny bit of gas in 3 cylinders, the bottom one not worth the trouble. ( A tip for putting gas in is to use a straw and dip in gas and the hold finger over the hole at the top and then release when in the cylinder. Just old fashioned science) Cranked engine and it fired up. So I took the rebuilt pump to shop to make sure I did it right and turns out I was missing something. So Monday I will go back and bring everything I need for him to rebuild as I forgot to bring some stuff.
Will let you know how it goes after this.