1994 Mariner 115 HP reliability

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Before I had a smart phone with internet, I bought a bow rider with a Mercrusier 470/3.7L inboard/outboard. It was only after I bought the damned boat and started having problems that I googled and found iboats and the myriad warnings about that particular engine. I pulled the engine, completely rebuilt it, and two seasons later I'm suspecting another blown head gasket. Got it partially disassembled as I type this. The redfish are tearing it up on Santa Rosa Sound. I'm done with the very high maintenance-man-hour-to-flight-hour ratio. My God! I've got the boat equivalent of an EA-6B Prowler or CH-53E. I'm hoping a reputable outboard will be more like an F/A-18 Hornet: maybe a MMH/FH ratio of 3 versus 50.

I'm looking at a center console since I've got the fishing bug. It's got a '94 Mariner 115 HP. Quite a steal for $1700 boat, trailer, fish finder/GPS included. Gonna go get it if you tell me good things.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Mariner 115 HP reliability

That is the 2+2 motor and if every thing is in working order, good running low problem engine.
Most problems are from: incorrect sync & link, accelerater pump set up,sticky injectors on 3rd & 4th cylinder,float ungluing in oil tank triggering false alarm. I myself would buy it...

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1994 Mariner 115 HP reliability

That is the 2+2 motor and if every thing is in working order, good running low problem engine.
Most problems are from: incorrect sync & link, accelerater pump set up,sticky injectors on 3rd & 4th cylinder,float ungluing in oil tank triggering false alarm. I myself would buy it...

If I have the Mercury service manual, can follow directions, and have good mechanics skills, can I work on this engine myself?

The advertisement said:

18' Center Console self-bailing Wellcraft with 115 HP Mariner Outboard and galvanized trailer. Boat is 1984; motor is 1994. Motor runs great. Comes with bimini top, fish finder, life jackets, rig hook, and tons of rod holders. New throttle and shifter cables, fuel level sending unit and starter last season. Kept motor and trailer well greased and religiously flushed well with fresh water after each trip. Needs new steering and tilt/trim motor. Steering is $195 at Boat US and tilt/trim motor is priced at $185. Price reduced to $1700 cash.

Do those prices sound right? Trim motors I looked up were $800. Do you know what he means by "needs new steering". Is there a power steering motor?

I haven't had the chance to talk to him yet. I definitely don't want to buy another boat that I've got to spend two years rebuilding. Any advice on how to evaluate an outboard and the boat itself? I appreciate it.