Mercury 1980 140HP Blue Band Running Issues

hjch

Recruit
Hi,
My boat recently ran out of fuel. After this it has now been running poorly. It is difficult to cold start, idles ok and starts perfectly once warm, but requires a bit of a rev to stay running when cold. It also revs perfectly in neutral. It will run ok up to about 1500-2500 rpm, and from then on it runs very rough, occasionally running properly and reving through ok, but not often. I have had the carburettors rebuilt, after been told this was the culprit by a boat mechanic, however this didn't work. I have since been told that it could be the reed valves or perhaps the labyrinth seals. Is it likely to be one of those things or is it something else. Help would be much appreciated.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 1980 140HP Blue Band Running Issues

I would test to see if your stator is working properly with a dva or ohm meter.Your stator has a low side and a high side which means she will run at low rpms and fizzel out on the higher rpm.CDI website has a troubleshooting guide for your application.Thats just one possibility.Since you said you ran it out of fuel you might have sucked up all kinds of garbage that is plugging your fuel pump, fuel filter etc.In my expierence all inlines are cold blooded and love the gas to get them running.Reeds seldom take a dump.

hjch

Recruit
Re: Mercury 1980 140HP Blue Band Running Issues

Thank you Gomer50,
The filter and fuel pump are both fine. Contamination was what I first suspected, however everything turned out to be clean and the squeezig the fuel bulb does nothing to help the engine run, thus it eliminates the fuel pump in my mind. I am unfamiliar with the 'CDI website', could you post a link for it?