Tilt Trim problem 1974? Mercury 1500

dland07

Recruit
Tilt Trim won't work (does nothing) I got a wiring diagram from a buddy and it shows both an up solenoid and a down solenoid (he said they all have both) My issue is that mine appears to only have one solenoid so his diagrams are no help to me. When I first got the boat it worked fine, unfortunately the boat sits outside and the drain hole was clogged up and the boat filled with water (I suspect this is what started the problem but not sure) (I think it is a 1974 but I am not even sure about that). Anyone out there have any ideas to point me in the right direction??? My buddy doesn't know how it would work without 2 solenoids and I tend to agree but I know it did work and I can't find but just one...:confused:

waynelk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tilt Trim problem 1974? Mercury 1500

Some trim pumps only use a solenoid for the up direction. The down has not much load, because of the weight, and some wire straight from the switch to the motor. Yours should have both solenoids and be the 4 hose pump instead of the 2 hose. Also yours works opposite of most in that when the trim pistons are retracted the motor is up and when all the way out the motor is down. Wiring is power to the blue (up) and power to the green (down) I believe.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of the Mercs had only one solenoid for up. The PPT switches are pretty heavy duty, so they just used heavy cable for trimming down.

merc850

Commander

Here's the wiring diagram for the single solenoid modelpower-trim-wiring.jpg
maybe the solenoid has taken on water and the motor too. The solenoid can be tested by jumping wires and the motor can be tested by using a heavy gage wire across the large terminals on the solenoid.
I would unplug the red harness plug and check for corrosion clean if needed and replug in.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This might help....

trim20wiring.jpg

dland07

Recruit

Thanks a lot guys this has been very helpful. I got it working again. All the info was great and the wiring diagram was great. I really appreciate it. This forum is great.

lvoight

Recruit

Thanks a lot guys this has been very helpful. I got it working again. All the info was great and the wiring diagram was great. I really appreciate it. This forum is great.

What did you end up doing to fix it? was it the solenoid?