mechaninc says no compression in one cylinder but it starts and sounds good on muffs

merc950

Recruit
A bought a glastron trihull with a 650 merc, local mechanic says i have a broken rod in one cylinder and that it would be $1700 to repair, but he offered to buy the motor for $200, i brought the boat home hooked it up to the muffs and th hose gave it a jump and it fired right up, made lots of noise and the prop sure as !@#$ spun shooting water all over my garage, does this make sense if it has a broken rod? will the boat still run in the water with no compression in one cylinder? if so will it run fast? run but run slowly? or will it just run on muffs but not in the water?if it runs in the water is this dangorouse?

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mechaninc says no compression in one cylinder but it starts and sounds good on mu

Get yourself a compression tester and see for yourself.If it had a broken rod you would know about it.Most outboards run good in the driveway on the muffs because there is no load on the lower end.
If she spun water all over your garage my guess she was in gear.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mechaninc says no compression in one cylinder but it starts and sounds good on mu

Running on muffs with no load tells you nothing but at least one cylinder is working.