1988 mercury 135hp piston replacement. help please..

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi i have a 1988 mercury 135hp outboard. i am doing a piston replacement. what parts do i all need? so far ive ordered a piston kit and a head gasket set. are there any other parts i need? i am replacing the top piston on the left side (port). it is a V6. any help will be appreciated.. thanks

HMCIDCDMT

Recruit
Re: 1988 mercury 135hp piston replacement. help please..

I am about to do the same thing. If you don't mind sharing as we go along it might help the both of us. How are you attempting to remove the pistons?

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey sorry i havent been on here in a while.. but i left the block on the lower unit. had the flywheel pulled. took the intake off. carbs off. reed block housing off. then i ran into a problem.. i cant get the crank case cover off.. i believe it has to be pulled up and out. but after that just disconnect the connecting rod and push the piston out the top. replace it. and put it back in. hope this helps. maybe you have some info for me as well. thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You have to pull the powerhead to remove front half of crankcase, you were lucky as you must have had the horizontal reed intake as you cannot do this with a vertical reed model.

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do i absolutely have to remove the whole powerhead? i have the whole crankcase loose.. even the bolts on the bottom that hold it to the lower unit. couldnt i just pull that? and if so how?