Gas Leak in 40 hp 2 stroke mercury outboard

fussyfrank

Recruit
So my 40 hp 1999 mercury outboard motor is leaking gas / oil into the water when I hook up the gas line. I give the gas line a pump with the bulb but the buld is very hard to squeeze... the motor starts after several turns... if I unplug the gas line and let the boat idle out there will not be a gas leak when the motor finally quits (or at least not as bad). On visual inspection (i pretty much have no idea what I am looking at) I can see at the bottom of the motor a very tiny gold toned "pin" that appears to be dripping and the dripping gets worse if I tilt or trim the motor up... in fact it almost pours out steady and ends up in the water... the gas also looks like it is almost bubbling up from the propeller???? Is this a simple fix or am I looking at some major work on this motor and if I am looking at major work, would I be better off replacing the outboard motor? If I replace the outboard motor, what would be a good fit for an 18 foot Fisher Pontoon that can take all the way up to a 75 hp motor? How much should repairs cost if anyone has a ball park figure, that would help as well. Thanks in advance for the help. I am in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gas Leak in 40 hp 2 stroke mercury outboard

Try replacing all gas lines, would be a cheep fix if done yourself, while you are at it replace fuel filter. Do a compression test.

fussyfrank

Recruit
Re: Gas Leak in 40 hp 2 stroke mercury outboard

Thanks! I think I got it fixed based on that suggestion. Found a hose that was disconnected and split.