1999 Merc 25hp ????

MDailey

Recruit
New member here. I just picked up a 1999 Mercury 25hp 2stroke w/ electric start . I bought the motor from the original owner and he said it only had 20-30 hrs on it. It started right up idle good, I did notice the water wasnt going out in a steady stream so I plan to given it a good tune up. Water pump , plugs , fuel filter, and foot oil. My question is I gave 850.00 for the motor, engine stand, 6 gallon tank with fuel lines and oil for the mix, is this a good price ? and is there anything else I should check during the tune up?
Thanks

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1999 Merc 25hp ????

Heck yeah, as long as it's in as good of shape as you say. Check out the price of a new one.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 model I bought new for $1900.You got a good deal!

graytonbeachman

Recruit

Makes me feel good about my purchase. 1998 14' Alumacraft V-hull, great trailer, 1999 25hp Mercury 2 stroke with electric start... $925

When I first cranked the motor, I was concerned about the amount of water coming out as well (just a trickle). However, once the motor warms up just a bit, it increases to a nice steady stream.

My problem has been getting the motor to idle very well. The carb was just rebuilt (before my purchase) and it runs great at mid to full throttle, but it wants to stall when idling or running at slow speeds. I have to pull the primer knob one time every minute or so to keep it running at idle. I also replaced the plugs, fuel filter, new fuel (and Quicksilver Oil and Fuel Stabilizer), older (but clean) gas tank and older (but in good shape) gas lines. I say all of this to say.... I would like to know how your's idles after your tuneup. Also, after a new water pump, does yours produce a stronger stream upon startup?

Congrats on the motor! From what I've seen online, you got a great deal!

I clocked my speed on my handheld GPS over the weekend and was doing a steady 29MPH on a smooth bay... runs great at full throttle.

IMG_20110417_170722.jpg