how to replace throttle cable

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you remove the throttle cable at the motor (1977 mercury 85hp)? I see there is some type of clip the throttle and shifter cables run through that i cannot get to release. I want to save some money and learn more by doing it myself but i'm feeling a little mentally retarded with this issue. I have the Seloc manual and do not see any mention of the retainer i'm talking about. By the way, should i post all my questions to a dedicated thread or doesn't it matter?

M

Maxz695

Re: how to replace throttle cable

You will then have to remve the cable unscrew it from the linkage then you will have to remove the throttle and disassemble where the cable goes in and detach the holding mechanism and remove the barrels there as well reinstall in reverse order

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So easy a caveman could do it, and in 12 seconds. Thank you sir!!

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that was simple and i found out the cable does work but it don't start to move till i move the lever about 1/3 of the way forward. Is this a characteristic of the Mercontrol or do i have a different problem...stretched cable...worn control? I took the control apart and made sure everything was like the pic in the manual. I took the control apart to check because i replaced the throttle lever previously.