Changing Motor Mounts on a 1994 Mercury 115 HP Help!!!!

RedRanger1

Recruit
Is is necessary to remove the lower gear case in order to change the motor mounts on a 1994 Mercury 115 HP Outboard?

If that is the case do I need to remove the prop in order to remove the lower gear case?

Thanks for any help!!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing Motor Mounts on a 1994 Mercury 115 HP Help!!!!

Upper or lower mounts??? If lowers you may have to loosen uppers mounts also. Some models dont have enough play to get the bolt that runs thru center of mount out of the steering yoke. If thats the case you will have to pull the powerhead to access the upper ones. Why are you replacing...salt water damage???

RedRanger1

Recruit

Capitan,

To answer your first question they are the lower mounts. It does not seem like this motor has upper per the diagrams but I may be worng.

I am replacing becasue they seem to very loose, old, and broken down, and I have been told I am losing performance form my motor becasue of it.

It looks like per the diagram that I should be able to pull the lower gear case allowing me to move the Shift Shaft. After doing this it seems like there would be enough play to get the bolts out. Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The shift shaft has no effect on lower mounts. Below is pictures and instruction to remove/replace them. If your talking about uppers mounts near shift shaft below carbs, you will have to remove powerhead (see pic below)
To replace lower mounts (# 24) remove cover # 35,bolts #34 and cover #32. Remove nut #29 from steering yoke and if midsection #1 has enough play ,pull it rearward to slide bolts #25 from yoke. Replacement is in reverse. If no play powerhead will have to be pulled..

15190.jpg15194.jpg