Trim gauge works backwards

hoamdezinah

Recruit
I recently purchased a 94 Nitro with a Merc 115. It was a project boat. The only gauge that worked was the spedometer. I replaced all the gauges with new faria gauges. They all work fine except the trim reads up with the motor down and down with the motor up. I removed the trim sensor and flipped it 180 but it did the same thing. I also removed it and turned the lever 180 and it still did the same thing. The gauge supplier sent me another trim gauge, thinking that it may have been labled wrong from the factory, but the new one did the same. I assume at this point that it has to be the sensor, and don't mind buying one if it is, but my local supplier says I can't return it if it doesn't work. Can anyone shed light on this before I blow about 60 bucks, if it's not the sensor.

Thanks a bunch, and have a happy day. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim gauge works backwards

Remove the sensor but leave it connected. To get the movement of the arm correct in your mind, move it manually reorienting the sensor as you do this. Relate that to the needle movement on the gauge. If nothing you do makes a difference, spin the gauge 180 degrees. Up will now be Down. If the gauge has a label on the face showing up and down, it may appear a little funny but UP on the needle will still be UP on the motor.