How old is my Mariner Outboard ?

jamosj

Recruit
Hi,

I hope you can help me. I am new to all of this ! :)

I looking for some more details on my Mariner Outboard:

It is a: Mariner 55el serial number: 663 L 318769

Please can someone tell me what year it was made and is is actually a Mariner or a Yamaha engine etc?

Also please can you recommend a service/repair manual for it?

Thanks for your help ! :)

Cheers

James

gosouth99

Cadet
Re: How old is my Mariner Outboard ?

Looks like a 1988. I found the info on this site - http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608047. It's the 3rd or 4th '1988' down under 55EL. the ser # range for '88s is 663 L 318399 - 319101. The "L" stands for long-shaft. They don't indicate long or short on the site. The whole Mariner/Yamaha, Mariner/Mercury thing is still confusing me. I know they were all produced in different combinations at different times. I'm still trying to determine if mine is a Mariner/Yamaha or Mariner/MERC. I just bought a 1984 40hp 2-stroke serial # 6E9 L 412333. When I call a dealer, their immediate response is "It's a Mercury". The guy I bought it from said it was a Yamaha. It has Yamaha logos all over the inside, so I'm inclined to say mine's a Yamaha, but what the hell does that mean? They were all in bed with each other at one time or another sharing parts, etc. I can't get a solid answer out of anyone about MY particular motor. I bought the Mariner 1977 - 1989 Seloc manual on Ebay for $12.50. Look around there. Do Not buy it new. The dealer tried to sell me one for $80 bucks! If you find out any more info on looking things up, pls let me know. Thanks Good luck!

jamosj

Recruit
Re: How old is my Mariner Outboard ?

Looks like a 1988. I found the info on this site - http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608047. It's the 3rd or 4th '1988' down under 55EL. the ser # range for '88s is 663 L 318399 - 319101. The "L" stands for long-shaft. They don't indicate long or short on the site. The whole Mariner/Yamaha, Mariner/Mercury thing is still confusing me. I know they were all produced in different combinations at different times. I'm still trying to determine if mine is a Mariner/Yamaha or Mariner/MERC. I just bought a 1984 40hp 2-stroke serial # 6E9 L 412333. When I call a dealer, their immediate response is "It's a Mercury". The guy I bought it from said it was a Yamaha. It has Yamaha logos all over the inside, so I'm inclined to say mine's a Yamaha, but what the hell does that mean? They were all in bed with each other at one time or another sharing parts, etc. I can't get a solid answer out of anyone about MY particular motor. I bought the Mariner 1977 - 1989 Seloc manual on Ebay for $12.50. Look around there. Do Not buy it new. The dealer tried to sell me one for $80 bucks! If you find out any more info on looking things up, pls let me know. Thanks Good luck!

Cool ! thanks very much for the information. Yep the Makers issue is very confusing ! Of course I will look out for any information I find and will pass it on.

So now I am off to ebay to find the manual !

Thanks

James