1993 mercury 150 XR6 impeller R/R

gary159

Cadet
does anyone have a good detailed link that will show me how to remove and replace the impeller on this model engine. also is this a job that should be done by a pro tech or could a fairly skilled guy like myself do this. anything i should be aware of doing this myself. thanks

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 mercury 150 XR6 impeller R/R

Very easy to do...make sure you get all of the nuts off and do not beat on the cav plate or you will break it... need to take it down every year and lightly grease the splines that go into the power head... NEVER leave any grease on the top of the shaft... you don;'t want to deal with a lower unit that has stuck itself in the power head...they are many posts on how to put the lower unit back in which is sometimes challenging... if the engine has been maintained it should drop easy so be careful when all of the nuts are out...be sure and get the one under the trim tab...Steve

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, Pick up a service manual, as it will have pictures. For that job, any one will do,

Be sure to replace the impeller, wearplate and it's two gaskets. Inspect the waterpump cover for wear and scratches. Replace if you find any. If you have water in the gearcase, replace the pump base, gasket and oring. Put gaskets on the gearcase fill and vent plugs, when you refill the gear oil.

gary159

Cadet

thanks chris, which manual would be best for this engine? i have looked on ebay and they have many brands to chose from and id like to get the one that would show me how to do this..thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The best manual is a Merc brand service manual. They are most pricy. If you think you will do several repair jobs (tuneup, carbs, ign, water pump), get the Merc manual. If you do not plan to do any of those jobs then a Climer/Seloc or other manual is just fine.

gary159

Cadet

thanks jim,,i looked at that awhile back but he didnt show putting it back on, should be in forward reverse or netural to do this?

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks jim,,i looked at that awhile back but he didnt show putting it back on, should be in forward reverse or netural to do this?

In netural buddy

gary159

Cadet

ok thanks Jim, im going to give it a shot this weekend. i hope i dont screw it up LOL..