Electric Water Pump??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightwarp

Recruit
Looking for marine engine mechanics. I have a question. I have a Mercury 35 and have changed the impeller, (the old one had no tabs left), and then found the powerhead at the exhaust manifold gasket bad, and still it doesn't pee. Is it possible to rig up a small 12 volt electric water pump and flow the water through the motor the opposite way? There is no thermostat so the water should flow freely then. I will remove the impeller to allow the water to come out without blockage? I am lost and willing to modify just to get cruising and fishing again. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Electric Water Pump??

If you're talking about using the electric pump to reverse flush the engine, yes, no problem. If you are suggesting using the set up as a permanent system, no the water would be flowing the wrong way. It needs to flow into the exhaust covers first....

Chris..........

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone ever used a electric water pump to do this sort of thing before? That is, flow through the exhaust first?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Has anyone ever used a electric water pump to do this sort of thing before? That is, flow through the exhaust first?

Seems a lot of work to eliminate something that works quite well already... I think the main obstacle is the flow rate. The flow from the standard impeller varies with engine speed, whereas the electric pump has a constant flow, regardless of engine speed. You could easily end up with a situation of too much flow at idle (engine then runs too cold) and not enough flow at WOT (we all know how that ends... :eek:).

Chris...

dkvm

Recruit
ABOUT 12V WATER PUMP. THIS ISSUE IS ONE THAT SHOULD BE SOLVED SO A PERSON CAN TAKE FRESH WATER OUTBOARD TO SALTWATER WITH OUT DAMGE TO THE MOTOR. I'm SURE ONE CAN REGULATE WATER TEMP. AND PUMP SPEED. DKVM

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ABOUT 12V WATER PUMP. THIS ISSUE IS ONE THAT SHOULD BE SOLVED SO A PERSON CAN TAKE FRESH WATER OUTBOARD TO SALTWATER WITH OUT DAMGE TO THE MOTOR. I'm SURE ONE CAN REGULATE WATER TEMP. AND PUMP SPEED. DKVM

Freshwater/Saltwater? This a workaround for a problem which is easily solved and where the motor is used has nothing to do with the failure.

This thread is too old for new comments, nearing 8 years. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.