2 STROKE OR 4 STROKE how can I tell the difference

harlley

Recruit
I'm new to the boating world..have an older 3.5 Mercury out board but I don't know how to tell which it is...also wondering wher to find a serial # and the age of the motor...thankx for any help...harlley

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 STROKE OR 4 STROKE how can I tell the difference

Well I'd say its a two stroke, as for the serial number, take of the cowling, it should be stamped on the block somewhere. Once you find the number, the year of manufacture can be found.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at it this way: Until you can determine for sure, treat it like a 2-stroke. If you mix fuel and run it through a four stroke, all that will happen is you will foul plugs a little more often. (cheap) If, on the other hand, you run a two-stroke without oil, you will quickly burn up the engine (not cheap).

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think one of the easiest ways to check if it's a 2 stroke is, if the spark plugs and head are on one end of the motor and the carb is on the other end it's a 2 stroke. 4 strokes have the carb on the side towards the head.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Look at it this way: Until you can determine for sure, treat it like a 2-stroke. If you mix fuel and run it through a four stroke, all that will happen is you will foul plugs a little more often. (cheap) If, on the other hand, you run a two-stroke without oil, you will quickly burn up the engine (not cheap).

Well thats true UNLESS its a four stroke without any oil in the crankcase. If its a four stroke, somewhere there has to be a place to add check the crankcase oil under the cowling and if it is, then you need to check that anyway, BEFORE you start the engine.

grandpaclint

Petty Officer 3rd Class

look for an oil filter,and a dip stick=4 stroke