Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

2 STROKE OR 4 STROKE how can I tell the difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 STROKE OR 4 STROKE how can I tell the difference

I'm new to the boating world..have an older 3.5 Mercury out board but I don't know how to tell which it is...also wondering wher to find a serial # and the age of the motor...thankx for any help...harlley

Re: 2 STROKE OR 4 STROKE how can I tell the difference

Well I'd say its a two stroke, as for the serial number, take of the cowling, it should be stamped on the block somewhere. Once you find the number, the year of manufacture can be found.

Comment

Look at it this way: Until you can determine for sure, treat it like a 2-stroke. If you mix fuel and run it through a four stroke, all that will happen is you will foul plugs a little more often. (cheap) If, on the other hand, you run a two-stroke without oil, you will quickly burn up the engine (not cheap).

Comment

I think one of the easiest ways to check if it's a 2 stroke is, if the spark plugs and head are on one end of the motor and the carb is on the other end it's a 2 stroke. 4 strokes have the carb on the side towards the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacket4life View Post
          Look at it this way: Until you can determine for sure, treat it like a 2-stroke. If you mix fuel and run it through a four stroke, all that will happen is you will foul plugs a little more often. (cheap) If, on the other hand, you run a two-stroke without oil, you will quickly burn up the engine (not cheap).
          Well thats true UNLESS its a four stroke without any oil in the crankcase. If its a four stroke, somewhere there has to be a place to add check the crankcase oil under the cowling and if it is, then you need to check that anyway, BEFORE you start the engine.

Comment

look for an oil filter,and a dip stick=4 stroke
            1962-powercat-17C-merc,900
            16 ft lund-merc ,25ML-4str
            16 ft wellcraft-merc,650

Comment

Working...
            X