Piston Replacement cost - 68 Mercury 20 hp

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an educated guess on a piston replacement. I know the top piston is bad. I'm not sure to what extent but assuming its the actual piston not just the rings that are bad and i need to have the cylinder machined. All the parts seem to be available, just not real easy. \

I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed but assuming no crazy circumstances, it should be fixable.

I'm guessing I'll tackle this myself but I'd like to know how much a shop would charge just in case. Obviously there are things that could pop up and I find out they are bad, but for now I'm thinking just the basic necessary parts and labor. A rough guess would be awesome!

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Piston Replacement cost - 68 Mercury 20 hp

I'm guessing about 800-1000 bucks but I might be way off...any thoughts?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pistons are about $90ea but you need to find a shop with a boring bar that can bore 2.566 in bore. My guess with parts and boring $600 or less...

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Pistons are about $90ea but you need to find a shop with a boring bar that can bore 2.566 in bore. My guess with parts and boring $600 or less...

Thats less that I thought, but still too much. I know I can save a ton of money doing it myself and I might just do that. I'm not sure if it needs to be bored or not. Assuming no boring needed I can get a piston for about 60 bucks. Then just random gaskets. Is there anything else I should consider replacing since I'm in there?