1990 Mercury 25 hp water pump

GSA51

Recruit
To my knowledge the water pump impeller has never been changed on this 1990 - 25 hp-2 cycle motor. It seems to be working fine. Is the impeller something that should be changed periodically as preventive maint.?

Thanks for your help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1990 Mercury 25 hp water pump

To my knowledge the water pump impeller has never been changed on this 1990 - 25 hp-2 cycle motor. It seems to be working fine. Is the impeller something that should be changed periodically as preventive maint.?

Urr, yes!

When the impeller dies, the engine dies.... Keep your engine healthy by servicing the water pump (changing the impeller) at least every 2 years....

Chris.........

GSA51

Recruit

Thanks - I figured as much. Any tricks that might make changing the impeller easier?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks - I figured as much. Any tricks that might make changing the impeller easier?

Use the genuine manual... Don't have one? download HERE. Password for the file is ribforum. I know that manual is for 1994 and up, but the engine hasn't changed dramatically between yours and 1994. The procedures are exactly the same...

The manual explains exactly how to do it.... Just watch out for the little washer that falls off the shift shaft as you pull the gear housing out. :D...

Chris........

GSA51

Recruit

Thanks much for your help! That should make the job considerably easier. Heading North for a fishing trip and wouldn't want it to die in the middle of my trip.

Again, Thanks