Mercury 150 Black Max Power Trim Problem

PRdiver

Cadet
Hello:
Im trying to repair my Mercury Power Trim. It is 3 rams, Design I, Square motor 3 cables. Sometime ago the oil reservior got broke and saltwater entered to the system. The oil color turned pink. I flushed the whole system including disassembly the cylinders and pressure release valve. Now the Power Trim is working with dificulties. The up movement takes a lot of time but it do the job. The down movement is performing as normal, I think it is due to the engine?s weight. The system doesn?t have any external leaks and the engine don?t get down unless the down button is pressed.
I think the motor and pump are good because the unit moves full up and down.
Can any of you please let me know if there is an schematic or a drawing where the internal parts are explained (part list). I would like to know if there are internal valves or springs that can be stocked.
Mercury 150 HP Black Max S/N 0C27152
Thanks to all

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 150 Black Max Power Trim Problem

Here ya go, zoom in on it to see the parts more clearly --

Trim.png

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You can use this link to Merc's parts ite to view an exploded view of the parts.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=V-150

Are you certain that you have bleed all of the air out of the system?

Is there an obvious difference in sound/pitch of the motor running faster in the up then going down which would indicate excessive clearance (wear) of the pump from the water.

PRdiver

Cadet

Here ya go, zoom in on it to see the parts more clearly --

Trim.png

Thanks a lot. I wrote design II by error. Can you please send me the drawings of design I?
Thanks again,
PRdiver

PRdiver

Cadet

You can use this link to Merc's parts ite to view an exploded view of the parts.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=V-150

Are you certain that you have bleed all of the air out of the system?

Is there an obvious difference in sound/pitch of the motor running faster in the up then going down which would indicate excessive clearance (wear) of the pump from the water.

Thanks a lot very usefull site...

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi..
normally the tilt unit is a gear pump which is bi directional with two loading valves in each direction which the pump pressure has to over come, and they will be some non return valves also, assuming all the air is out you may find that one of the loading valves is passing or not opening properley , sometimes they are reffered to as check valves also.

rgds
bob

PRdiver

Cadet

Hi..
normally the tilt unit is a gear pump which is bi directional with two loading valves in each direction which the pump pressure has to over come, and they will be some non return valves also, assuming all the air is out you may find that one of the loading valves is passing or not opening properley , sometimes they are reffered to as check valves also.

rgds
bob

Thanks for your post. I will try it.

PRdiver

Cadet

Recently I tryed my pump/motor assembly in another power trim/tilt assembly. The problem is exactly the same. Fast going down and slow and noisy when moving up. This told me the my pump is bad. Does anyone of you know if I can repair the pump's internal valves? Any schematic?
Thanks in advance,
PRdiver

PRdiver

Cadet

One friend of mine borrowed me another Power Trim Assembly. I installed my motor/pump assembly on it and then the problem was exactly the same. So I concluded that my pump was bad. I ordered a new motor/pump assembly, installed it and now the Power Trim is working fine.
Please use this post in case you have the same problem.
Thank you all that helped me with your replays. :)
PRdiver

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One friend of mine borrowed me another Power Trim Assembly. I installed my motor/pump assembly on it and then the problem was exactly the same. So I concluded that my pump was bad. I ordered a new motor/pump assembly, installed it and now the Power Trim is working fine.
Please use this post in case you have the same problem.
Thank you all that helped me with your replays. :)
PRdiver

I apologize for starting a similar thread but have followed up on it with pointing to this one.

Now, I have a problem removing the motor. There appears to be two bolts that use a 3/16 size hex drive to remove the motor, The one on the outside is no problem but how can I get to the one on the inside without lifting the entire Mercury engine off the boat with a crane? Anyone know? Sure would be nice if there was an easier way. Is there a special tool? Thanks, Mike

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not getting much help but then I realize I am not that important. I took some pictures of this part.
trim8.JPGtrim1.JPGtrim2.JPGtrim3.JPGtrim4.JPG
A. How does it come off easiest way?
B. Is there a bolt in the back catty corner from where you can see the bolt was removed at the base in the left front OR NOT.
C. What if the top rear bolt was taken off, could this be removed that way? ( It is somewhat rounded and very tight at this time )
D. What is the cheapest way to replace this? Re-build? Used part? After market part?
Thanks

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

trim7.JPGtrim6.JPG

Where the red arrow is, that is where I think there may be a bolt like in the front that is hard to get to. Also the ser number plate is shown for this Black Max XR4 150 Mercury OB.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the unit would have needed this part or some other aftermarket product but we got it out with a flex hex drive tool and had it rebuilt at an electrical alternator/starter local shop for about $65.00.

Mariner, Mercury Marine Replacement Power Tilt and Trim Motor 6279 - Arco - iboats

I am going to say that I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of help here on this problem but hopefully my posts will help someone else some day.