broke wires coming from under top of motor

perkerson

Recruit
I have an 80's model 90 hp inline 6 Mercury and was trying to get boat running to sell and discovered some decaying wires that come from up top and lead to to a little box with three connections. I can crank the boat fine and it runs fine on the water hose . was wondering what these wires are for and are they for the trigger assembly (I think). Didn't want to carry to shop if this is something I can easily fix myself. Need some help.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: broke wires coming from under top of motor

We need more info, like what color are the wires. Its not the trigger as it would run if the wires to it were broken. It may be the idle stabilizer in which case you can take it off and throw it away. But you need to verify that.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are the wires from the stator. They provide the charging for the battery.
Replacing the stator isn't difficult but you will need the proper flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. Don't remove the bolts from the center hub, use the correct puller.

perkerson

Recruit

thanks for the help i thought thats what they were after i looked at it some more today. I also have some other wire that are decaying too after i looked even closer. but these can just be replaced since they are just switch box wires.