65 HP Mercury Thunderbolt

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi! One of my friends just bought a 1961 Cutter with this outboard on it. Its a 65 hp Mercury Thunderbolt. Serial # 4386137.

I have a couple questions about it. I offered to check on the info for him. So..

1. What year is this outboard?? From my research I thot maybe it is a '76. Can anyone confirm or correct that?

2. How much is the outboard worth in good condition. I saw a pic of it and the housing and all looks brand new. It was setting several yrs but he got it to fire right off.

3. The outboard did not come with the remote controls. Where do you find them and what controls will work with this outboard??

Thanx!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 65 HP Mercury Thunderbolt

If this helps any, here is a pic of the outboard....

070209_20011.jpg

Btw, he picked up the boat, motor and trailer for $250! :)

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a three cylinder engine which was first produced in '72 or '73.I think that they increased the HP to 70 before too long so you are probably pretty close in your estimate.Ron G

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

What controls will work with this outboard? Do all mercury controls fit any mercury outboard? Or does it have to be motor specific?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, Singinout!

We have stuff in common - I have a Merc 650 also. Recently I came across an 80 hp Merc and posted here to see if the cables would fit - the response I got was that it should be no problem. I think the 1970's cables from 50-100hp are the same.

I just got home from singing Mendelssohn's Oratorio "Elijah". Great music. Hadn't sung it since college in the 70's. Surprising how many of the notes were still in my head after all these years! Sure wish my church choir was large enough to do music like that!

Dave

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah actually this is my friends motor, not mine. (i wish it wuz mine!:)) Thanx for the info on the controls.

O yeah I love music too! I sing on a quartet and I directed a youth chorus last year! It is awesome!