Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
See more
See less

Mercury Classic 50, 45 hp, 87-89 year

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Classic 50, 45 hp, 87-89 year

serial # 0C145238
    I noticed water coming out of COVER ASSEMBLY, Cylinder Block by #1 spark plug. the previous owner had applied silicon where the gasket was leaking.
    while removing it i broke a wire coming off some type of sensor located next to plug #1 the cover has an opening made to fit around the sensor and plug #1.
    Could some one please tell me what is the name of the sensor and what does it do, i grounded the wire with motor on and it kept on running,, with motor off and ignition key on and i heard something making a very slight noise when i grounded the wire...... also i think the motor is an 89 but would some one know from the serial # what year it is??

thank you
    Last edited by carolynandjoe; June 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Re: Mercury Classic 50, 45 hp, 87-89 year

That was your over heat sensor.
    This is free internet advice.

Have Fun,

Attached Files
      '93 Chaparral 2370 (current) '86 SeaRay Seville 195BR (sold)
      '72 Glastron GT160 & 1985 Merc 150HP V6 (project)

I can't thank you guys enough, great info and fast..... You guys are great.

joe and carolyn

Great Info here thanks for the replies you give the people
          Verlon E. Lawrence
          Professional Catfisherman