1967 1100 ss Tips needed, How to watch temp, and hook gauges up!

szealuss

Seaman Apprentice
Got a 1100 ss 1967 from my dad, I dont think it has ever been in salt water, runs great and looks great, surprisingly. Far as I know it doesnt have a buzzer or a tstat. I would like to monitor this great Icon of a motor, just need suggestions.

Could use a hint on where tto hook up water pressure gauge also. I can only see putting it in the tell tale, I just want a better reading then that.

I know i can hook up a gauge just not sure where would be the best.
Ohh and I know it has a timing belt, and i could use any helpful tips on ensuring that this motor lasts me.

Thanx

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1967 1100 ss Tips needed, How to watch temp, and hook gauges up!

Hi,

This is taxing my memory, I think there is a brass plug just above or below the no 3 cyl sparkplug on the water jacket. If not then on the top of the block there is a screw plug that you can take out and put in the fitting for your water pressure gauge. This plug is usually a little hard to get out. Also the jacket is a little thin and close to the inner casting. You may have to notch the hose fitting to get a good pressure reading.
They were nice motors in their day. A good classic ride today.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same motor. It runs like a dream. I haven't got too far into mine yet, but I do have the shocks off to replace the rubber bushings. I matched them up at an offroad truck shop.

I also plan on replacing the water pump and fuel pumps before I get it back in the water.

szealuss

Seaman Apprentice

:cool:Thanks Corm and OVI, I will definitely look in to that. That is much needed info.

JMejia1967

Recruit

Just last weekend i saw my dads boat that he has had just sitting there for over 6 years, its a 1974 glastec with a 1967 merc 1100 ss, i took it out yesterday for the first time and i ran like a champ, it ran perfectly fine but would anyone have any tips what i should do to the motor, maybe a tune up? Also the fuel gauge does not work, any tips?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

As long as it runs good have fun with it. You could check JB's guide for putting bots that have sat for some time back in the water.
You probably need a new sending unit in the gas tank to make the gauge work.
Start a new thread on it if you need more help.