2000 50 HP Mercury power loss at full throttle

msschneider

Recruit
I am new to this site!! I have a 2000 50 hp mercury 2 stroke. I took it out the other day after I put on a new hydrofoil stabilizer and a new fuel line and bulb. It started fine and ran great at full throttle. I stopped then started again and when I got past half throttle it would bog and not rev up any higher. It ran great at half throttle. I dropped it back down and throttled up slowly and it went on up to 4500 to 5000 rpm. Ran good the rest of the way. On my way back same thing happened again only this time it would not rev up past half throttle when I would give it more throttle it would just bog down, not die but not gain any power. Can anyone help?

thanks

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 2000 50 HP Mercury power loss at full throttle

Welcome to to the iboats forum! The experts here, which I am NOT, can help you solve any problem. I helped a neighbor last year with a 2004 Mercury 60HP 2 stroke that had a similar problem. We determined it was clogged high-speed carburetor jets from old fuel. The jets were accessible without removing the cards and we cleaned them with rattle-can carb cleaner and a needle. Why did you install a new fuel line and bulb? Are they OEM parts?

msschneider

Recruit

Thanks for the response. I installed a new hose and bulb because the other one was old and cracked and when I removed it it had varnish flakes in it. I got the new one from Wal-mart it was a universal one, do you think that could make a difference.

Willyclay

Captain

I've seen comments from some of the forum gurus who recommend only OEM hoses and bulbs. I currently have a Walmart brand hoses myself and find it difficult to create a siphon. That said, the fact that you found "varnish flakes" in your old hoses strongly indicates you may have the same problem in your fuel pump and/or carburetors as well as all fuel lines after the engine connector. Just take it one step at a time. Good luck!