25 hp Merc outboard serial number

Dave Farrside

Recruit
Need HELP please. Have serial #OGO21994 on factory sticker 25HP 2 cycle. Been all over the net trying to figure out year so I can order manual and figure out why no spark at plugs. Any help with year?
In great shape, ran great a couple years ago. new plugs. ran once about 3 minutes rough and quit this week.
thanks! Dave

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 25 hp Merc outboard serial number

Year is early 1994, service manual part# 90-43509-3. They changed them part way through '94, yours is the earlier one.

Check the stop switch in the end of the tiller handle... are you getting an electric shock through the tiller handle when you try to start it? Disconnect the yellow/black wire from the switchbox and see if the spark returns...

Chris............

Dave Farrside

Recruit

achris. thanks for the quick reply :p
kinda thinking the same thing. has stop switch in tiller and toggle on front of engine next to fuel inlet connector. it's like 'brand new' inside the cover. will check the switch and reply later in week.
thanks again! Dave

robster1213

Recruit

I am having the same problem finding parts. I know I have a 2002 mercury 25hp. but it seems like there are 50 different models for that year:confused:. Mine only says "25M" Serial number OT568637. Can you guys point me in the right direction? And does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the user manual that comes with the motor when new?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Go to Mercs website... You plug in the engine serial number and order the manual you want direct for the people who built the engine... You can get the owners handbook, the service manual and the parts manual... All at the same place, and all for EXACTLY your engine....

Or, if you want to save a few clicks, I've done the work for you...

https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/orderForm.jsp?type=ob

Chris.................

rick2006

Recruit

Hi there i am thinking about buying an outboard engine the guy doesn't know the year of it but has given me what he says is the only number he can see on the engine which is 1025207AL if any one can help me with the year i would really appreciate it as ive been looking for hours with no luck. its a 25HP merc and looks at a guess 2000+, i have just been emailed some pictures and it is covered in white stuff apparently it's marine protective grease is that a thing that coud be white ive only ever seen grease the browny black colour?
thankyou
richard