Oil injection problem 150 XR6

pmdsean

Cadet
Great forum! I have a 2001 Mercury 150 XR6 carburated, oil injected engine that started beeping. It is not a continuous beep, but a beep, beep, beep. It will beep as soon as I start the engine. The motor will start fine and pee is coming out of the tell tale. I read other posts and it sounds like a oil injection problem. I checked my engine oil reservoir and it was about a inch below the neck of the fill opening. I read in another post that the oil should be full all the way to the top of the fill cap. I have plenty of oil in the reserve tank. How do I check to see if the reserve tank is pumping to the smaller engine reservoir tank.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Oil injection problem 150 XR6

Great forum! I have a 2001 Mercury 150 XR6 carburated, oil injected engine that started beeping. It is not a continuous beep, but a beep, beep, beep. It will beep as soon as I start the engine. The motor will start fine and pee is coming out of the tell tale. I read other posts and it sounds like a oil injection problem. I checked my engine oil reservoir and it was about a inch below the neck of the fill opening. I read in another post that the oil should be full all the way to the top of the fill cap. I have plenty of oil in the reserve tank. How do I check to see if the reserve tank is pumping to the smaller engine reservoir tank.

It's in the book. (genuine maintainance manual)

If you crack the cap on the engine tank when it's idling, it should fill up and spill over. That's the setup on it anyway. Anything but plumb full tight is supposed to set off the alarm.

Pressure is supplied to the remote tank from a check/relief valve on the starboard side of the engine. Oil travels from the remote tank to a relief valve and on to the engine tank. The purpose of the relief valve is to allow air into the system if the oil fails to come from the remote tank, so the engine can be oiled, although complaining, until you get to shore.

Odds are either a hose is bad, or pinched or kinked, or the engine check valve is bad, or a cap is loose or cracked on the remote tank.

The alarm system is doing what it is supposed to do.

hope it helps
John

pmdsean

Cadet

Thanks John for the help. I'm taking it to the dealer today to get it checked out. I just bought the boat from a private seller and he said he would pick up the tab. I'll post as to what the problem was. Thanks again for your help. I love this site!

pmdsean

Cadet

John, you were right. The filler cap was loose. They also said it had the wrong spark plugs in it and I had them changed to the correct ones. I also had the water impeller changed. It runs great now.
Thanks again John.