Primer Bulb won't stay hard.

*WEAVER*

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2 stroke 1990 mercury 90 horse, and whenever I go to pump the primer bulb, to get fuel to the motor, the bulb will not get hard, you can keep squeezing it, What are the symptoms of something like this? Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Primer Bulb won't stay hard.

Could be as simple as a bad check valve in the bulb. Replace the bulb. Check all your fuel lines for cracks and replace as necessary.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Weaver, It could also be a bad diaghram in the fuel pump. This allows raw gas into the crankcase, and will lock up the motor if it builds up too much.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2 stroke 1990 mercury 90 horse, and whenever I go to pump the primer bulb, to get fuel to the motor, the bulb will not get hard, you can keep squeezing it, What are the symptoms of something like this? Thanks

sounds like you already have the symptoms:)
could be a lot of things:
The pickuup in the tank has come off or is not sumberged in gasoline
blocked or broken in fuel line
the check valves in the primer bulb are not working correctly
etc.

I would replace the bulb and see if that fixes it first... then start checking other things.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The primer bulb never really "gets hard" because the fuel pump is sucking (rather than pushing) fuel through the bulb so there is no pressure being built up in the bulb. If the bulb is getting sucked flat and such, then that is a better indication of a restriction in the fuel line.

To be more certain that you have a restriction in the fuel line or related problem, you can consider using a vacuum gauge to test the system. The below linked thread contains a guide for how to do this.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=261581

*WEAVER*

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help everybody. I probably didn't explain myself real well, my other boat I had, had a 2 stroke engine on it, and when I would first go to pump the primer bulb, after a couple of squeezes, it would get full. This one I have now, when I do that, you can keep squeezing it, and it will never get full. But I will try messing with the pump, and possibly put a new fuel line on it and connectors on it and see if that helps.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A fuel line restriction would not result in the symptoms you now describe, so never mind about the vacuum gauge tests. If the carb floats/valves are leaking or you have a hose leak between the bulb and the carbs, you would see the fuel gushing out somewhere. If you do not see this, I would conclude that it is the bulb that needs replacing. If replacing the bulb does not fix it, I would then consider the other good suggestions already mentioned in the earlier posts.

Just my thoughts...