Engine Wont start , Hot battery terminal

I have a mercury 650 (65 hp) and nobody will answer me on the mercury forum so I have used this forum before and everyone is very helpful. I have fuel to my carbs and at one time had spark then lost it found out coil wire was rigged so i replaced it, but no matter what the engine wont fire. The negative battery terminal gets really hot and i know the issue is in the electrical but just dont know where to start ??? Please help leave for canada in 3 weeks!!!!

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Wont start , Hot battery terminal

make sure all your connections are clean and tight. If youu turn it over a lot they will get hot. I would take a guess and say its a bad starter but it could be other things. Have you tried turning the fly wheel by hand? If it was me I would check the battery cables first and the starter second.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Mercury what's one of those? Small planet close to the sun isn't it.

Battery terminal is getting hot because there is a bad connection there.

But see the post on the engine FAQs board "Outboard wont start" by JB

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please read:http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=250879

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

moving to Mercury.

brutus02

Recruit

dose your engine crank but just wont turn over?

CraigC

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you were basically saying that it cranks, but won't start, am I correct?
You also mentioned a spark issue...are you sure you have spark now at all cylinders? And clean plugs?
Have you checked the timing? (link n sync!)

Remember the basics: fuel + compression + properly timed spark = should run.

make sure all your connections are clean and tight. If youu turn it over a lot they will get hot. I would take a guess and say its a bad starter but it could be other things. Have you tried turning the fly wheel by hand? If it was me I would check the battery cables first and the starter second.

Well here is the thing my starter turns over just fine the engine just wont start up. The starter is fine ????

Please read:http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=250879

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

moving to Mercury.

My engine will turn over just not start, so if I am correct my starter is fine, and i have no spark currently , just replaced the coil wire but think it is maybe the coil could that cause the terminal to get hot or is it that theyre is a short somewhere

dose your engine crank but just wont turn over?

Yes, that is correct, so i am leaning towards a bad coil or a short somewhere, but dont know that a bad coil would cause a hot negative battery terminal