1999 mercury 200 not getting oil?

mikemac

Cadet
i was cruising at about 30 mph, then i felt the motor slightly lose power and drop down to 25 mph. then the alarm went off with a steady beep beep beep. my temperature gauge was normal. replaced the t-stats recently. water pump could probably get replaced but i do have a steady water stream. it's getting fuel. i let the motor cool off and tried to start it back up and idle back to shore but it sounded bad....like a sound if a bearing went and was grinding so i shut it down and got towed in. the beep beep beep wouldn't stop.

the main oil tank is full and the smaller tank on the power head is full.

does this sound like an oil problem, motor sieze, piston blown, misfireing? any thoughts as to how and go about this?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1999 mercury 200 not getting oil?

You probably sheared the plastic gear that drives the oil pump. Running it at all like that probably toasted yer powerhead. Sometimes if you get off it right away when the alarm goes off, and add oil to the main fuel tank, (like the owner's manual says) will save the powerhead.

For other's learning:
I run about an ounce per gallon of oil in the main fuel tank, along with the VRO oiling system. It comes out about 40:1 at WOT, which is fine, and maybe 60:1 at idle, also fine, and leaner than pre-mix, thus better idling and less smoke. I also run a full synthetic oil which will keep an oil film on things a few seconds longer. If the oiler fails, I have a pretty good chance of getting out of it before any harm is done.

John