Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

seized my 850 two stroke (then freed it), why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized my 850 two stroke (then freed it), why?

Attached Files

Re: seized my 850 two stroke (then freed it), why?

OK, First of all your compression is excellent, so you dodged a bullet. The seizure of the motor was likely caused by overheating or water-alcohol seperation. Let your tanks sit ansd then siphon a gallon off the bottom of each tank into a clear container. If it does not have the oil color, discard it since it is water and alcohol.

When was the last time the waterpump impeller weas replaced. If more than 2 years ago, then change it now.

Comment

Someone could of put sugar in your tanks?

Comment

Burn a spoonful of the gas. If it leaves a caramelly gooey residue, it's been sugared. I've had it happen to me.

You dodged a bullet. Find out if it's bad gas, poor cooling, or what before you run it again.

hope it helps
        John

Comment

to Chris1956
          Thanks for the input, I'll test the gas like you suggest. The impeller hasn't been replaced in more than 2 years so I'll do that too. I hope that's the end of it but somehow I still don't feel good about this yet....

to Meet
          Could have, there wasn't any physical security on the boat or the gas tanks but I'm not aware of anyone who has a grudge against me or my buddy enough to do a silly destructive thing like that. It was stored in a good rural neighbourhood where half the neighbours are related to my buddy in one way or another.

to j_Martin
          I'll do the burn test too and see how that goes. I agree with trying to find a cause before trusting the motor again.

Comment

to meet and j_martin

Burnt residue didn't have any amount of sticky junk left over for any of the three, so sugar doesn't look like an option. The suspect tank didn't leave any soot, and did have a drop of water. I think I know the problem now. The colour was wrong, the suspect gas burned slower and much longer. Photos attached, see the next post for what the problem appears to be.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Wreck Rider; May 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: add photos

Comment

to Chris1956

Thanks for the tip. When I took a grab sample from each tank, from the surface, I missed an important point. A photo is attached showing grab samples taken like you suggest (but with a big syringe and long stiff tube to reach the bottom).

I'd never heard of this alcohol separation issue before. Judging by the colour of the gas, I was running straight gas and alcohol for about 3-4 miles.

I hope I can just get this running again with a tank of the good gas.

Is it a good idea to over-oil the first few tanks to wear off any little burrs that I created in the cylinder or on the cranks?
              Attached Files

Comment

Extra oil will have no value. Make sure you have removed all the alcohol-water mix from each tank. Test the new gas by adding the oil, mix and let stand for a while. Now get a sample from the bottom as before.

The gas station may have water in t's tanks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck Rider View Post
                  to meet and j_martin

Burnt residue didn't have any amount of sticky junk left over for any of the three, so sugar doesn't look like an option. The suspect tank didn't leave any soot, and did have a drop of water. I think I know the problem now. The colour was wrong, the suspect gas burned slower and much longer. Photos attached, see the next post for what the problem appears to be.
                  Alcohol (pure) burns with a colorless flame, and is cooler than gasoline.

That's mostly alcohol and water.

You found it, the dreaded phase seperation.

John

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

See that chit in the water just below the gasoline. That's what usually causes the most problem. Plugs up small passages, like jets, or the screen in the cheep murkery filter, and starves a cylinder long enough for it to overheat and stick.

On my XR4, I prevent it from ever being an issue by running all the fuel through a water seperating fuel filter. (RACOR)

hope it helps
                      John

Comment

Wreck, Two observations.

Your premix is a nice tropical color!

Your wife does not know you have the kitchen glassware in the garage, does she?

Comment

to j_martin

Good point about the chit, I'll have a look at the filter before going out.

Comment

to Chris1956

Thanks for noticing, it reminds me of my first trip, to Georgetown on Exuma in the Bahamas.

Ssshhh!! Until she decides to become a member of iBoats and check out these posting our secret is safe.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X