Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

DIY: Repair seal wear grooves on drive shaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Repair seal wear grooves on drive shaft

Re: DIY: Repair seal wear grooves on drive shaft

They work great as they are harder than the shaft was, we put them on the other way with loctite and leave the flange on it don't hurt anything.

Comment

I could have left the flange on the 1st one (if it was turned around the right way), but not on the 2nd, as a seal has to pass over the first sleeve and rides on the second sleeve.

Comment

That was an AWESOME post!!!! I think it would be a good FAQ post, because everyone will run into this problem sooner or later. The pics really make it great. I'd like to know where you ordered them or bought them. Also, do you just measure the shaft with a caliper and go get it because they have all different sizes or what?
        BRAVO,
        JBJ
        Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

Originally posted by jbjennings View Post
          That was an AWESOME post!!!! I think it would be a good FAQ post, because everyone will run into this problem sooner or later. The pics really make it great. I'd like to know where you ordered them or bought them. Also, do you just measure the shaft with a caliper and go get it because they have all different sizes or what?
          BRAVO,
          JBJ
          Glad you liked the post. To answer your questions:

Do a google on Speedi Sleeve and you will get a lot of hits. I found a catalog that lists all sizes available. As you suggested I measured the shaft with a pair of calipers and picked the proper sleeve from the catalog. I ordered the sleeves for this project off an internet site, but I also used Speedi Sleeves when I replaced the bearings on my trailer, and I bought those sleeves at a local NAPA.

Comment

Thanks for the info. mercguy. I assume you could use them on the propshaft if needed. I may try that myself on a driveshaft or two on my oldies.
            JBJ
            Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

Working...
            X