60HP Mercury EFI alternator problem?

Jimsail

Cadet
I have a 2003 60 HP ELPT EFI that the alternator may not be working. I have a good battery, 100% charge. I launch for a day using a depth finder and GPS and starting three or four times, running the motor for long runs up the lake. When I come back in and hook up to a charger the battery will show maybe 80% charge. Shouldn't the motor keep the battery charged better than this? Does this motor have an alternator and if so how can I check to see if it is working properly?

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 60HP Mercury EFI alternator problem?

Yes, you can check the output with a multimater placed on the battery terminals and the engine idling. If you are only reading in the 12.1-12.9 volt range, the alternator is not charging. The exact value for your engine is listed in the Merc factory manual for your engine.

For reference, this voltage value for my 115efi 4-stroke is 14.1V. Use this as a rough guide but check it out for yuor model.

Jimsail

Cadet

Yes, you can check the output with a multimater placed on the battery terminals and the engine idling. If you are only reading in the 12.1-12.9 volt range, the alternator is not charging. The exact value for your engine is listed in the Merc factory manual for your engine.

For reference, this voltage value for my 115efi 4-stroke is 14.1V. Use this as a rough guide but check it out for your model.

Thanks Bigjohn1. I was beginning to think no one would look at my question.
If I do determine it is the alternator, how difficult is it to install a new one? Do you thing it could be handled by a somewhat handy but novice person? I keep my boat about 50 miles from the nearest Mercury dealer and don't want to haul it to them if I don't really have to.
Thanks for your reply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Does your boat have a voltmeter? If so, what does it say at about 1500 - 2000 RPM? Anything above 13 volts indicates the alternator is charging. If it's less than that it's not. Chances are the alternator is not bad but the rectifier/regulator is. If you get nervous changing batteries in a flashlight this is not the job for you.