Cadet
hey it's me again this time i'd like to know how to check that my
batterie is charging what is the best way and also like to know if
i can run my boat with a defective rectifier without hurting or burning
anything around... thanks again.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: how to check if my batter is charging

Pick up a cheap Multimeter (Harbor Frieght, Walmart), set to 20 volts, run the engine up a bit, and see if the volts increase. Out on the water at 2000 rpm should have at least 13.5 or better

Stan747

Cadet

do i hook it to the batter or something else.... because now on idle at the batter
i got 12.6 volts is it good or bad.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Connect the red cable from the multimeter to the positive post on the battery. Connect the black cable from the multimeter to the negative post on the battery. With the motor off, observe what the DC voltage reading is. The voltage reading you see will depend on how well charged the battery is. It should be in the area of 12.0-12.7v

Next start the motor and let it idle at 1000RPMs or so. Observe if the voltage goes up a little from what it was when the motor was off. If it goes up a little, your voltage regulators are probably OK. If the voltage does not change at all, then your voltage regulators are probably not OK. If the voltage jumps up to 17-18 volts, your voltage regulators are probably not OK.

The following link has lots of info on marine batteries and voltages:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Battery%20Voltages

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

if you have an upper model fish finder, some of the screens you bring up will tell you the voltage. with these you can get a good idea the system is working at any time

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or if your boat has a voltmeter on the dash ----------------

Sig_Mech

Seaman

The rectifier on your motor is used to convert ac from your stator to dc. This dc is what charges your battery via the voltage regulator. If you run without the rectifier you will not be charging your battery or supplying voltage to your engines system. Ultimately what will happen is that your engine will run off battery power until the battery voltage drops so low that it can no longer fire the sparkplugs. ( Can you say tow rope?)
A volt meter will only measure the voltage of the battery or the output voltage of the regulator. It it not a good indication if your battery is charging or not. The best way to check if your battery is charging is to put an ammeter on the positive battery cable and check for charging or discharging of the battery. A bad battery can measure 12 to 13v across the terminals but still not hold a charge due to a faulty cell.