Help with serial and wiring harness

dblackhawk

Recruit
Hi...I just bought an older bass boat that has a 1978 Mercury M-1150 (115 HP) on it. The wiring coming from the wiring harness (inside the engine) is cracked and peeling and I need to replace it. However, I don't know where to look for the serial number (although I don't think I need it to find the right harness.) Where is the serial number, and where can I find the right harness?
Also, if someone knows, the boat itself (fiberglass) has accumulated a small amopunt of mold and is becoming dull. Is there any way to clean it without buyiong all that high dollar stuff?
......a dumb newbie. Was in the Coast Guard years ago, but haven't had experience with fixing boats.
THANKS.:)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Help with serial and wiring harness

Welcome to iboats!! The serial # should be on the swivel bracket on a plate. That # is how you will get any parts, so you need to get it.

As for the boat questions, you may want to post those in the restoration forum. Or just do a search for it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Blackhawk, The engine wiring harneses are availible on the web, but are not cheep. Try www.surplusunlimited.com. They have a harness to fit all the inline sixes(ADI and Dist)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There is a gentleman here named Clams_canino and he is the inline guru. It is a common problem with the older ones.

I would contact Clams for the best guidance.