Mercury 240 EFI Jet Drive

nemisphere

Recruit
I have a 2001 seadoo speedster jetboa twith a Mercury 240 EFI Jet Drive in it. we apparently had some pretty harsh windstorms and some water got into the engine compartment, i'm not sure how long the water was in there. the engine had about 8 inches of water around it. I never attempted to start it and i brought it to the dealer that i bought it from. after a day or so they said they drained all the water from the engine and it would not start. they believe the engine to be totaled and a replacement cost about 7k.

Now my question is this, should i take their word on this or should i get a second opinion. I'm not sure how the water affects the engine and it boggles me that the WHOLE engine would need to be replaced. any feedback would be appreciated.

Rowboat

Seaman
Re: Mercury 240 EFI Jet Drive

My 1998 serrayder with 175 merc sank also the water was between the bottom and middle carbs unaware I tried to start up, short story is removed plugs rolled engine over several times, replaced plugs tried to start . Did this again till finally it ran ,it took about 3 cleanings of bottom plugs before it started to run like new. yes I think you need second opinion.
Bob