Do those carb cleaners really work?

I own a 50 hp Mercury 1984. Should I ever suspect something wrong with the carburetors, is it worth trying those foam carb cleaners first before taking carbs apart? If so, what's good for Mercury? Thanks

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do those carb cleaners really work?

Hi merc.

I have used the Mercury Decarbonizer successfully on my 1992 40HP Merc.
It cleaned out both intake and outake areas and motor rans pretty good.
I hear it's pretty hard on spark-plugs..... but I didn't notice that symptom.
Its definately cheaper than tear-down and rebuild.

Good Luck. CF

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mercer, nothing can clean a really dirty carb, other than disassembly, soaking, blowing out, and reassembly with a new kit. the decarb stuff can help but will not totally clean it. but for $6-7 it's worth a try first. always do a linc n sinc after a rebuild. see Clams post in the engine faq on L n S . spraying auto carb cleaner into a 2 cycle engine can damage the engine, as it has no oil, and strips the insides of oil.

timmathis

Lieutenant

In some cases carb cleaner, fuel injection or seafoam that you add to the fuel. can help clean the system out. As long as it has a flow and not stopped up all the way.
In some cases it is worth a try $3 or $4 bucks VS A $200.00 carb job. In most cases when you have a dirty carb it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. But also in some cases a bottle of a additive can do the job.
Here is a good example.
One time my new corvette had a skip It was cutting out at WOT and had a ruff idle. I took it to the dealership. They charged me $175.00 to add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. And to drive my vette around at WOT for about 30 minutes It done the job. But I could have done the same thing for $4.00. + fuel.... Also they told me to run a bottle of good fuel injection cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks of gas . I do now and have not had that problem ever since. So it is a good idea to run a good cleaner in anything from time to time on a regular basis.
STP in the black bottle is a good cleaner. I use seafoam in my boats. With good results. Tim

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mercury's "Power Tune" spray de-carb treatment has always worked quite well for me. Give it a try but follow the directions. Lots of folks will recommend SeaFoam and it is also great stuff....actually, I will use either one.

Laddies

Banned

If you deside to use a carb cleaner use one that mixes in the fuel the junk you spray in the throat of a carb does nothing at all to clean fuel passages and they are where the problems are

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I own a '85 50hp. I love the engine and it may be one the best engines merc ever designed.

That said, if your '84 has never had the carbs rebuilt, it may be time. It is very easy to do and the part kit is inexpensive. The cleaners can clean the carbs, but a worn needle valve and seat can only be replaced.

gss036

Commander

SeaFoam it!!!!!!!!!!! Put a can in your 6 gal tank, if that does not help, it's rebuild time. Plain and simple.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have had excellent results with Sea Foam and Deep Creep, not only in my outboard, but other 2 and 4 cycle engines. My latest caper is a 40 year old diesel tractor that it really cleaned up.

In the outboard, the first time, I used something like a pint can to 5 gallons of gas. After that I put in about half a can to anywhere between 5 and 8 gallons of gas and I do it every time I gas up.

Mark

timmathis

Lieutenant

Some are better than others. S.T.P Fuel injecter cleaner in the black bottle has worked well for me. Mercury power tune has gave good results also, and so has seafoam.
Like said before, Most of the time if you need a carb job / Cleaning done. You have to take the carbs apart and clean them.
Tim

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why wait until you have a problem. Add SeaFoam in every tank of fuel and don't worry about carb problems.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Silvertip Good idea. But I have seen seafoam and other cleaners knock stuff loose and clog a carb. May be so if you had a totally clean system to start with.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

It seems like de-carbon stuff and carburetor cleaner are being used interchangably in this discussion. Are they the same? Will Seafoam - which I have always thought was a de-carboner - be effective as a carburetor cleaner? The cans of carburetor cleaner that I have seem to be totally differnt substances than the Seafoam and the Deep Creep that I have.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Read the can on seafoam or go to thier website. It has many uses.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

SeaFoam is a carb and fuel system cleaner. If you have crud and varnish in the system already it is only a matter of time until it clogs the fuel system anyway. You then need to disassemble the carbs, clean them and rebuild with new kits. You have a fuel filter. Its purpose is to catch the big stuff. It appears you are skeptical and there are now 16 responses most of which are in favor of using it. Use it for decarb as well as a fuel additive. Or don't use it, don't believe us. It's your choice.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use sea foam for everything (car, mower, weed eater, boat, blower etc) It is a great fuel system cleaner and decarb solution for all combustable engines.

xmos

Cadet

I've read lots of good post for motor carb cleaning using CHEMTOOL B12. Used that on my Ninja 600R and worked wonders. Started in the gas tank which broke up the rust and clog up the carb. Pulled the carb out and cleaned it and the cycle ran like new. Had also cleaned a Mercury 9.8 carb and saw no effect. Will be cleaning a Johnson 90 with it in the next few days. I run a cap full of Sea Foam per 5 Gallon of gas, but Carb needs a deep cleaning. Hope this helps.