Merc 1500 and 1400 Remote tilt and trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all had a question anbout tilt and trim. Looks like no one has had this problem in the archives....The TNT is working good...Maybe a little slow but working none the less.. The fluid is a bit low and I wondered what type of fluid is required for the unit ? Should I be checking the levels with teh motor all the way down ? If so then should it be right below the fill screw ? Like in a lawnmower oil plug ?<br />2ndly the unit is filled with a clear oily liquid with no smell whatsoever. Is this like mineral oil ? I'd like to keep the same type of fluid in it and would rather not Cycle everything out. This is tilting a 76 merc 1150.<br />Thanks for any help !

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Merc 1500 and 1400 Remote tilt and trim

It will be safe to use or add Dextron 3 ATF it is red though but it is only $2.00 per Qt. You can buy a small tube of power trim fluid at wal-mart,Made by Super tec 16 oz for about $2.97 I think it is clear. The factory calls for sae 10 wt oil that I cant find. My Mercury dealer told me to just to use the Dextron 3 ATF I like the red color so you can see a leak easy-er. You check it when it is all the way down. Just fill to screw level.

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok then it is ok to mix ? Do you know what the level should be when filled ? should I have the motor all the way down ? Rams emptied ? then jsut fill to the tippity top ?<br />EDIT: DUH I see it now ! Thanks !

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Motor should be all the way up (rams closed) and filled with 5w30 to the top of the hole. Make sure the vent screw is open. If you fill it with the rams open (motor down) when they close where will the oil go?<br />Thats if it is the style with the remote pump...<br />Regards Jon

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info....Just one delima !<br /><br />1st question.<br /> What type of fluid do I have ? Clear no smell.<br /><br />2nd question.<br /> What should I mix with ATF Dextron 3 ?<br /> Or 5w30 ? <br /><br />I'm guessing I shouldnt mix anything in an ideal situation But if it;s ok then shall it be 5w30 or ATF ?<br /><br />I love it when I get 2 opinions !! :) <br />Thanks though ! I think I'm about to learn somthing !

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would pull the hoses off at the rams, (be careful they strip easy) run the pump till its dry, reconnect the hoses and with the motor up fill her to the top with 5w30 and then run it up and down until no air is felt in the system (spongy).<br />Any oil will work, how thick it is determines how fast it will go up and down 10w30 will work just as well but the rams will move slower...<br />Jon

timmathis

Lieutenant

I would stick with the power trim fluid or better yet the dextron 3 like Mercury recommends. A trim system works like a hydraulic system so atf is more like a hydraulic fluid so it will work better I would say. 5w 30 is motor oil. So as far as that goes water would work, But I would think since it has no gears or bearings, just seals and hydraulic cylinders. No need for motor oil wouldn't you think.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

My merc pump says to use 5w30 on the side. ATF will also work but there is no advantage. "it has no gears or bearings" the pump is a gear pump as are most hydraulic pumps. SAE 10wt oil is motor oil before they started blending them and getting the 10w and 5w numbers 20wt was a standard in trucks and cars and the 10wt was a little lighter...

timmathis

Lieutenant

jheron what year is your pump? I don't know if it matters. But in my 1975 Mercury says to use Dextron 2 or 3 atf. As simple as they are wesson oil should be ok. I like the red color for easy troubleshooting.

pinkfloyd

Cadet

Joemama,If your system is slow. Somebody has probably put the wrong wt oil in it. Do as Tim said and use dextron ATF. I would drain and fill the system. The ATF will work faster and be better for the seals, That is a $500.00 pump use what mercury and Tim recommends... I think jheron has a different year/set up than you have.<br /> Floyd

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jon and Joemama, I have a '77 Merc 1500. As Jon says, the original owners manual (and instructions on the pump) calls for 5W-30 oil. I have been using 10W-30 oil for 25 years in it and have had few issues.<br />ATF is thinner than 5 or 10W-30 oil, and will consequently leak past the seals more easily. On my Mercruiser, I have leakage or water into the system when I use ATF. It is better (less leakage) with 10W-30 oil.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep mine is a 77 1150 remote pump.<br />Hey Chris1956 my dads old ford tractor drinks so much oil we started using 20wt (still available at Canadian Tire) to slow her appetite :) <br />Hey floyd who told ya that ATF is better for the seals than oil? That is interesting...<br />Regards Jon

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me, I'd use the 10W oil because of the anti-slip additives in most modern ATF fluids. Anti slip fluids introduced into pumps/seals is not ideal.<br /><br />From what I have read, Mercury has flip-flopped on their recommendations over the years. While orignally recommending 5W or 10W oil, they since promote their own fluid and ATF as an alternate. I'm not sure it really matters much, provided that you don't mix different fluids. Find one that works well, and stick with it.<br /><br />Any time OEM warranties are involved, be sure to follow what is specified in the operation manual.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Amd's is right 10W is what merc used first and what I would use if I could find it. I have used dextron or power stearing fluid for over 25 years and never had a seal or pump go bad. <br />Tim

Xeno456

Cadet
I am trying to add/change fluid in my 76'. Which is the fill and breed screws? I also have a nob on the top that can turn by hand...I am all new to this hydraulic system. Thx

Xeno456

Cadet
No Title

Here is what I have.

Attachments

• photo247374.jpeg
    photo247374.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo247375.jpeg
    photo247375.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Xeno456

You are hijacking a ten year old thread. Please start a new topic as you did for your no spark thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.