How do you align upper shift lever and lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowstud98@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for answering my orginal question about no neutral or reverse but how do i get the lower end shift spline in neutral? also it seems on the lower end no matter which way i turn the shift spline, the prop never goes free or reverse is that normal???<br /><br />should i try to turn it with a monkey wrench it sound like it wants to go into gear but i don't know what way to turn the lower end spline any ideas?? thanks again Erik

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do you align upper shift lever and lower unit

Eric... I was surprised at how hard it is to turn that damn thing (But don't turn too hard!). Also, have someone turn the crank in the right direction as you try to find a gear. That'll help it slip in.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, the LU should shift into each gear as you turn the shift shaft. If you are in fwd, turn the shift shaft counter clockwise, should feel some pressure then the pressure will let up this should be nuetral, then one more turn CC to reverse. You may want to try some WD 40 spray on the shift shaft. It's bit hard to turn with a pair of pliers, but it should turn. Did the Lower Unit sit up for a long time with water in it? If so, parts may be a rusted together and not moving right.

snowstud98@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice

yeah the engine has been sitting for sometime,it started right up thou, The lower unit the shift shaft turns about one turn very easy but doesn't change gears what could i grease or take apart to make it smoother????? so if i put some pressure on the shift shaft and move the prop it should shift???? thanks for all your help erik

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just read your prior post. If the LU was shifting prior to you removing it then it should shift again when you put in together correctly. Did you disconnect the shift control at the motor when you dropped the LU? What position was the shifter on the control? Are you sure you got the water tube pack in the water pump when you put the LU back on? When you put the LU back on, make sure the water tube goes back into the water pump you should have a plastic tube guide, in the water pump. When you get the LU up there, just thread the two bolts on the side just enough to hold the LU in place. Now take a flash light and look up the LU and you see the shift shaft connector. You can move this shaft until it lines up with the shift shaft of the LU. To move the connector you will find the shaft outside the LU behind the reverse lock shaft. Move over the shift shaft and tighten the bolts until the shaft is connected. Now the book says your LU should be in nuetral when you put it back on. But some prefer fwd. Just remember what postion you had the shifter in at the control. You may also have to adjust the shifter position on the motor after you put the LU back on.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

What do you mean the LU shift shaft "turns about one turn very easy"? If you mean that you can easily turn it a full rotation, then the shift shaft is not moving the shift cam. Please clarify.<br /><br />If you need to know which way to turn it to get it into neutral, look up into the midstection at the bottom of the upper shift shaft while someone shifts the motor. It will be hard to turn the shift shaft--this makes sense when you think about what it is accomplishing inside the LU--pushing the spring-loaded pin inside the prop shaft to move the clutch dog. That takes a pretty good push even if you are pushing on it directly.

snowstud98@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice

yeah I can move the lu shift shaft almost a full turn without any trouble does it mean its out of whack or broke??? thanks for all your help i'll try it tonight and see where i get Erik

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shifter on these lower units uses a spring loaded clutch.The clutch is spring loaded into forward.As you turn the shift shaft, the cam pushes the pin and moves the clutch to the neutral position and then the reverse position. <br />Your problem is that you turned your shifter counter clockwise right past the reverse position and into a position where the shifter moves freely for around a half turn with only forward gear felt.<br /><br />I have found it is much easier to just put the boat shifter in the reverse position.Then get a 11/32 six point socket and put it on the shift shaft for the lower.turn the shift shaft counter clockwise until pressure is felt then a little more(you should feel a slight click) at that point grab the prop and see if it spins freely both ways(as in nuetral).Now turn the shifter a little more until the next notch is felt(this should be reverse)verify by turning the driveshaft,the prop should turn backward.Next line up the lower and stab it in there lining up the upper shift shaft and the lower shift shaft as you go.<br />Hopefully this helps. <br />Good luck <br />Adam

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Adam,<br /><br />Thank you,. I had been following this post with interest as I had the same problem. I have followed your advice and now have all gears shifting properly. Many Thanks<br /><br />Chris

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Do not lift, or pull upward the shift shaft, it is possible to lift it right out of the shift cam and cause problems.<br /><br />The "shift cam" that the shift shaft goes down into will rotate almost a full turn while the gears remain if forward gear.<br /><br />You will notice that the propeller is locked into the gears in one direction and ratchets in the other, that's normal.<br /><br />In neutral the propeller will turn each way freely.<br /><br />In reverse the locked into gears, and ratcheting is reversed.<br /><br />If you turn the shaft with pliers, preferably with a rag wrapped around the splines to prevent wrecking the shaft,<br /><br />You will notice it will turn in one direction fully around and during this rotation will encounter some resistance and the feeling that it is doing something.<br /><br />While turning in that direction the first action it takes down there in the gears is neutral, you will notice the prop spins freely in each direction. <br /><br />In neutral it is possible to let go of the shaft and have it remain there. But if jarred or jiggled it will "fall" or jump right back into forward.<br /><br />If you continue turning the shift shaft past neutral it will find reverse.<br /><br />If you go too far it will again jump into forward gear and require you go back around that way again to find neutral and then reverse.<br /><br />I prefer to do my assembly in neutral.<br /><br />That means the shifter control box and motor are in neutral.<br /><br />During the process it may require that you or a helper turn the flywheel slightly to align the driveshaft splines, <br /><br />and make sure the shift splines align, along with the water tube into it's place.<br /><br />It's not uncommon to have to try this a number of times till you get it right.<br /><br />As the shift shaft has a tendency to "jump" out of neutral during the assembly process.<br /><br />If it goes together right the motor will be in neutral (prop spins freely each direction) when the controller is in neutral.<br /><br /><br />If you have pulled on the shift shaft and dislodged it from the shift cam it requires that the main propeller shaft be removed or moved outward from the case far enough to remove it's tension from the cam, but still can be a major operation getting it fixed.<br /><br /><br />Here's what a shift cam looks like. way down there inside that gear in the upper right picture. you can actually see the splined shaft coming down into the top of it.<br /><br />This one had had been put in upside down and really threw me for a loop, momentarily anyway.<br /><br />
400E_lowerUnitFun.JPG

I change the impeller in a 99 75 horsepower outboard Force engine I had it in Ford when I pull it out I went to put it back in and my brother put it in neutral so it go up into the spine I think I did that wrong not stuck in forward how do I get it back ride please help

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
13 yr old post start your own. At the top of forum is a sticky for.assembling the lower unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.