What NGK plug is hotter, BU8H or BUHW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What NGK plug is hotter, BU8H or BUHW?

Was just looking at that..can't decipher the BUHW temp. Is it colder or warmer than the BU8H.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Surface gap plugs don't have a 'heat range' rating.<br /><br />They are at the extreme end of cold.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info. <br /><br />Does anyone know why merc recommends running the coldest of the cold. The compression isn't overly high. However, I know that mercs (or at least mid 80's to early 90's Black Max V6's) run hot so maybe there's the anwser.

Dunaruna

Admiral

To help combat the dreaded fouled plug.<br /><br />The fuel ration control, quality of oil and combustion is much better on newer 2 strokes - fouling isn't so much a problem so surface gap plugs are becoming less and less important.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

For anyone is following the post.<br /><br />I contacted NGK and the said the BUHW is a colder spark plug and the BU8H has an actual heat rating which is hotter.

timmathis

Lieutenant

NGK has a cool web site with all the info you want to know about plugs. I lost the address. I will see if I can find it and post it for you if I can. Tim

dtazz

Cadet

So which is better NGK BUHW or Champion L76V plugs.

ricksrster

Commander

I think the BUHW NGK are the equivilent replacement for Champion L76V.

Gfisher1

Recruit
Tell you what, my '83 merc 40 2 stroke on my flat bottom Bass Tracker loves to run wide open with the BUHW plugs, never had a problem, might never will. It came with L76V plugs but upgraded to NGK. Idles ok, skips over the water over 32 mph and never complains. Lots of miles on my baby.

MOD EDIT: This thread is 17 years old. Please refrain from posting to old threads as per the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.